• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

North Koreas's deadly secret weapon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kim Jong Un a "James Bond" villain who could actually defeat the US ?

North Korea EMP attack could ‘shut down US power grid and kill 90% of Americans’ | The Independent

I'm alright Jack

Nothing secret about an EMP attack, that would be standard strategy as part of any nuclear attack Just keep all your electronic stuff in a Faraday cage and it will survive the attack

Comment

a variation on the contents of this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lights-Out-.../dp/055341996X

I was talking to a guy recently who knows about these things. He reckons that the substation transformers take months to build. If an EMP attack could take out a number of these then it would be messy.
      However, what is the realistic range for an EMP pulse to be destructive?

The effect is limited by the inverse square law over distance. So I think it could only be quite limited.
      And it's the Independent so lacking in journalistic rigour.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

By all accounts, a squirrel getting into the wrong place could shut down the US power grid, it's such a ramshackle chewing-gum-and-wire kind of thing

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          a variation on the contents of this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lights-Out-.../dp/055341996X

I was talking to a guy recently who knows about these things. He reckons that the substation transformers take months to build. If an EMP attack could take out a number of these then it would be messy.
          However, what is the realistic range for an EMP pulse to be destructive?

The effect is limited by the inverse square law over distance. So I think it could only be quite limited.
          And it's the Independent so lacking in journalistic rigour.

Exactly I don't think a widespread attack of this type form N.Korea is feasible, but on the other hand if they know where all the substations are, could be pretty devastating. Takes months to build a transformer.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

If the tension escalates, GE would be a good bet.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Is Kim Jong Un a "James Bond" villain who could actually defeat the US ?

North Korea EMP attack could ‘shut down US power grid and kill 90% of Americans’ | The Independent

No. all they need to do is to march into a US Base and distract the marines

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Comment

US goes to Defcon 4

The standoff with N.Korea is beginning to remind me of the film "The Day After" where everybody isn't really listening to the news about a steady escalation of tension between the US and the Soviet Union.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

US goes to Defcon 4

The standoff with N.Korea is beginning to remind me of the film "The Day After" where everybody isn't really listening to the news about a steady escalation of tension between the US and the Soviet Union.

It's only the Daily Express reporting this which they also did on April 14th and September 4th
                    So forgive me if I take this with a pinch of salt

Comment

Working...
                    X