• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH ROles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nearly 9 years of working mostly from home and counting and these days I'm even stricter about WFH than I used to be (I'm fed up of clients asking me to come in and work in their office for reasons only to spend 2.5 hours of my day commuting to sit at a desk in their office doing the same thing I'd be doing at home). As above, my rate has only increased over the years and is at the higher end of the range for my skillset and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Nearly 9 years of working mostly from home and counting and these days I'm even stricter about WFH than I used to be (I'm fed up of clients asking me to come in and work in their office for reasons only to spend 2.5 hours of my day commuting to sit at a desk in their office doing the same thing I'd be doing at home). As above, my rate has only increased over the years and is at the higher end of the range for my skillset and experience.
      Home flipped burgers delivered directly to your door.. Great idea.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I've been working from home for six years now on one of the highest rates I've ever been on.

Why would you cut your rate because you are saving the client costs?
        Absolutely. My last contract (over 5 years) was on my best rate ever. The value of the development to the client is the same wherever the work is carried out.

And, as TheFaQQer says, WFH probably saves the client money.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I've been working from home for six years now on one of the highest rates I've ever been on.

Why would you cut your rate because you are saving the client costs?

I'm actually finding that WFH roles are harder to come by than they used to be.

Must be the Agile thing perhaps and the inflexible attitude from some clients whereby you have to be physically present in their morning stand ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            My WFH roles have never advertised themselves at that.

Part of the reasons is they want people happy to go to the client's office(s) when necessary.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think it's largely luck of the draw. The majority of time you can manage to wangle 1 day a week from home but as some have said, you could land a contract that allows more than that (or equally one that allows none of it). I'm currently 3 days from home and after this I doubt I'll do another contract that isn't along similar lines. Sure, it narrows the options but so what? Getting up this morning at 07:00 in the pitch black and hearing my neighbours all driving off to work made me question whether I could ever do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                I think it's largely luck of the draw. The majority of time you can manage to wangle 1 day a week from home but as some have said, you could land a contract that allows more than that (or equally one that allows none of it). I'm currently 3 days from home and after this I doubt I'll do another contract that isn't along similar lines. Sure, it narrows the options but so what? Getting up this morning at 07:00 in the pitch black and hearing my neighbours all driving off to work made me question whether I could ever do that again.
                Try getting up at 5:00 am in the pitch black on a Monday morning for a 4 hour drive-bike-train commute.

I can barely function....

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

Must be the Agile thing perhaps and the inflexible attitude from some clients whereby you have to be physically present in their morning stand ups.
                  WFH mostly, just pure luck really.

Comment

I consider myself rather fortunate - current gig is local, looking likely to be a couple of wfh days which means leaving 4pm gets me home by 4:30 - Not as good as wfh in one way, but, means the rest of the day is my own once I leave the building.

Highest rate to date as well

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Attend the interview in person and they will definitely not want you in the office ever again.
                      How does he circumvent the telephone issue?

Afterall, he wants an actual gig, as opposed to just sitting at home, devising stupid sockies for no money.

Comment

Working...
                      X