• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking this - Orwellian HR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the feck are you attending “town hall” meetings, Gricer? You sound like a permie. You could put the time to much better use; for example, designing yet more immutably tedious sockies.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Everyone has town halls these days, it's actually just corporate/departmental announcements where you waste 1/2 - 1 hour of your time standing around and not hearing the announcer correctly because they're too quiet or they don't know how to use the mic.

The term town hall is incorrect as TH's imply that it's a 2-way communication but usually it's not.
      Last place used to have them a lot. I would just take the opportunity to stride off out the office mumbling about supplier meeting and spend the rest of the afternoon somewhere else. Too many organisations have forgotten the mantra if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Why the feck are you attending “town hall” meetings, Gricer? You sound like a permie. You could put the time to much better use; for example, designing yet more immutably tedious sockies.
        I only go to the ones with free sandwiches as you cannot rely enough being left after the event and brought up to the office.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I only go to the ones with free sandwiches as you cannot rely enough being left after the event and brought up to the office.
          Proper job. Pinch the permies' lunch and leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            One of the chaps who works across from me was pulled out this morning - not to be seen again.

Couldn't believe what had happened - during a town hall last week somebody mentioned there were yoga classes available at lunchtime & he made an off-hand remark that they looked like the kind of sessions where you'd want to be at the back.

Somebody takes offence and he's shown the door. Really!

I thought that these snowflakes that take offence at everything were made up by the Daily Mail.

Apparently not.
            Maybe someone was after his position?

Comment

Women can say what they like. A man has to be very careful.

Were they contract or permanent?

Comment

made an off-hand remark that they looked like the kind of sessions where you'd want to be at the back.
                Was the off-hand remark something like "I'll stand at the back with my dick in my hand working out who's getting raped later"?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

town halls

Ah Town Hall meetings, a great time to bunk off and surf the web at work or catch up on work. Only problem is if the manager asks you a question about them, although in all my years no one has ever discussed them after they've ended.
                  They are a vehicle for senior management to get some exposure, nothing else. If anything is going to affect you negatively you are often the last to know.

I think they are more of an American thing that a few UK companies are now adopting.
                  I learned when I was straight out of uni not to criticize the company or make rude offhand remarks as colleagues would lure you into a false sense of security, try to get you to say things which they could then relay onto other more senior people so that you're prospects could be dashed. Sneaky, slimy permies at aged 21, I got reprimanded for disclosing the state of a project when merely asked across a lunch table after that at age 21 I knew that the permie route was futile and all I cared about was the money into the bank account at the end of the month. Thank you Lord for the high contract rates for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Was the off-hand remark something like "I'll stand at the back with my dick in my hand working out who's getting raped later"?
                    The yoga classes are all male .....

Comment

One of the chaps who works across from me was pulled out this morning - not to be seen again.

Couldn't believe what had happened - during a town hall last week somebody mentioned there were yoga classes available at lunchtime & he made an off-hand remark that they looked like the kind of sessions where you'd want to be at the back.

Somebody takes offence and he's shown the door. Really!

I thought that these snowflakes that take offence at everything were made up by the Daily Mail.

Apparently not.
                      To be fair to HR, this is a made up story.

Comment

Working...
                      X