• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vegetarianism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegetarianism

As an addendum to my earlier post in the Anarchist's Cookbook thread and as a point of innerest, I note that the once popular Cranks Restaurant in London is now defunct.

First of it's kind, really, in that it was a high profile veggie beanfeast eatery.

I think I must have acquired the cookbook back in my student days when I was having a stab at being vegetarian. I had a modicum of success and lasted 3 years until I woke up one morning in a tent at the Cropredy Folk festival with the aroma of frying bacon wafting my way.

As a retrospective note on vegetarianism, I think the key to success is forgetting any notion of wanting to eat meat - i.e. ditch all those meat substitutes. They're vile. Ok, things may have moved on a bit with quorn but, texture wise, it still doesn't cut it. Ditto tofu - I had it recently in a Thai and the texture was redolent of fried polystyrene ceiling tiles.

Of course, back in my veggie days, things were far worse. There was sosmix, which as the name suggests, one mixed with water, rolled into sausage shapes and fried as one would a sausage. They weren't bad - better than the similar burgermix. But these products were limited in their application really.

If you wanted a versatile meat substitute it was TVP chunks - and these were versatile only in the types of recipe in which they could be an ingredient because no matter in what and for how long they were soused they would taste like something that belonged in a parrot's cage and texture wise they were like the dried chunks of kitekat left in your moggy's bowl after you've been away for the weekend.

So, if I were to do it again I'd ditch the meat substitute and the beanfeats (septic tank here) and overload on tomatoes, pasta herbs and cheese.

I'm sort of semi-vegetarian. I only eat vegetarian animals.

(I suspect that is a corny age-old gag, but I claim to have independently thought of it just now.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

(I suspect that is a corny age-old gag, but I claim to have independently thought of it just now.)

I think the original was "I'm a second generation vegetarian. I only eat things that eat vegetables"
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I think the original was "I'm a second generation vegetarian. I only eat things that eat vegetables"
        As they say, "Great minds think alike" ...

and fools rarely differ (which the Remainers on here prove every day )
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

You're a semi-vegetable.

Comment

Pip, I'm glad you got over your eating disorder. Thanks for raising awareness of an important issue.

Comment

Is this where the puns go about sticking meat in your mouth?

Comment

Working...
              X