• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all motorists and cyclists - this needs to happen over here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Problem is many roads don't have decent crossings or are actually side roads that are used as rat runs hence they can't make jay walking an offence.

Not paying due care and attention when you cross the road can be made one though.
    ahhh. My OP was not clear. I am totally making Jay Walking an offence. I was wondering why Honolulu finds it such a big deal?

Going through Bank a few days ago I saw a bus do an emergency stop. A lady tried to do a lemming impression.

It was 7am - I bet the driver was high on adrenalin for the rest of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      ahhh. My OP was not clear. I am totally making Jay Walking an offence. I was wondering why Honolulu finds it such a big deal?

Going through Bank a few days ago I saw a bus do an emergency stop. A lady tried to do a lemming impression.

It was 7am - I bet the driver was high on adrenalin for the rest of the day.
      It makes no sense on lots of roads when not busy e.g. around Bank at the weekend. (And yes I've been in the area when it is simply not busy)

Hence making crossing the road without due care and attention an offence would cover it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It makes no sense on lots of roads when not busy e.g. around Bank at the weekend. (And yes I've been in the area when it is simply not busy)

Hence making crossing the road without due care and attention an offence would cover it.
        Indeed. Like carrying a knife is an offense. A big difference between a little old lady coming home from Robert Dyas. And a teenager carrying one openly without wrapping.

Of course bank junction is cyclists/buses only Mon-Fri 7am-7pm. I have been through at 6:30am and its nice and quiet at that time.

Comment

The police could then do both cyclist/motorist and pedestrian crackdowns at the same time.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            It applies to car drivers, it should be applied to anyone on the road (any vehicle or on foot), of course you have the issue of the cyclist looking at his garmin/GPS/Strava to see how fast or where they are going but doesn't check to see if it's safe to do so.
            This is about phones and other mobile devices. Looking at your Garmin / GPS device on the bike is no different to looking at the speedo or sat nav in a car. You glance at it, you don't stare at it for minutes, or even seconds at a time. You don't look at Strava on the bike. You upload your ride to it afterwards.

Cyclists using their phone without a hands free headset while on the bike are open to a charge of careless cycling and deserve what they get, and I agree that it should be made a formal offence just as it is with car drivers.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If only Google or someone had thought of making eyewear so people could see both the screen and their path ahead.

As so many people are addicted to their phones it needs a technological evolution, not more laws that won't be enforced adequately.

We're spoilt by the promises within science fiction, aka Tomorrows World.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
              X