• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor - unexpectantly pregnant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    Its quite simple really. You need to make a life decision. I would envisage the expected perm offer will be or would be off the table when the 'boss' finds out about the bun. After all who is going to hire someone on a perm deal when they are potentially going to be unavailable for a considerable period.
    I'm no expert, but isn't this illegal? If it is and the OP has emails or other evidence to show perm discussions were happening before they knew she was pregnant, then they could get in a lot of trouble at a tribunal....

I also think the above view is quite cynical. If they want you perm, they obviously think you're right for the job, so they might not be concerned about if they take a long term view.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      All of those kill the whole thing dead in my opinion, at least for the short term future.
      I could likely negotiate 1 fixed day from home and another day every 2nd week. I live in London. I have never commute d less than an hour each way.

Comment

Originally posted by london17 View Post
        I am un-expectantly pregnant (9.5 weeks)

Commute door to door is 80 mins one way. Do-able but with a baby if there are delays I will have issues
        There will be a requirement for international travel
        My husband’s job is not flexible to allow for baby day care drop offs and pick-ups so I require flexibility

The meeting is next week to discuss. Any advice welcome!!!!
        I'm guessing this is your first baby since you think the possibility of commuting 80 mins one way is viable
        Something will have to give, unless you have (1) family who can look after the nipper or (2) you spend a lot of money of childcare.
        Once you have the baby you may not want to work anymore - the chemical changes to your body and your partner's that happen after birth (otherwise called love), by which the human species ensures that its young are looked after, may ensure that.
        Congrats by the way.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

The issue shouldn't be whether you get the job or not - it shouldn't depend on whether you're pregnant or not.

The real issue will be whether you can negotiate working conditions that will suit your new lifestyle. With an 80min commute, and a partner unable to be flexible, this would kill it dead for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I'm guessing this is your first baby since you think the possibility of commuting 80 mins one way is viable
            Something will have to give, unless you have (1) family who can look after the nipper or (2) you spend a lot of money of childcare.
            Once you have the baby you may not want to work anymore - the chemical changes to your body and your partner's that happen after birth (otherwise called love), by which the human species ensures that its young are looked after, may ensure that.
            Congrats by the way.
            Thanks!
            Yea it’s my first - haven’t a clue 😳
            It’s a long time coming according to friend and family so the time is right but dreading this conversation.
            Ideally I want to keep working until end April 2018. Have had a few contract breaks over the past 2 years.
            Just need to convince him to keep me on for 3 more mths.

Comment

As Neil Peart, drummer in Rush, said about future activities: "Making plans? I don´t even buy green bananas"

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                As Neil Peart, drummer in Rush, said about future activities: "Making plans? I don´t even buy green bananas"
                How very helpful

Comment

Taking the job offer out of the equation, what would you like from life as a mother?

Would your partner be happy and able to spend more time locally looking after the childcare aspects?

International travel - clearly a no-go to be able to childcare if it is fairly frequent.

Would you be happy to re-locate?

Is the company car a Vauxhall? That would b e a deal breaker.

You could consider looking to carry on contracting for now and look for a more local role.

I would advise thinking through what you would like, chat with your partner about what he would need to contribute considering your work location and international travel. Then you are in a good place for a decent, open chat with your potential new boss.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    How very helpful
                    Never heard of lateral thinking? You obviously never see beyond the end of your nose.

Comment

Originally posted by london17 View Post
                      Just need to convince him to keep me on for 3 more mths.
                      What I would do is not mention the pregnancy, say you want to think about the full-time offer for a while (say about 3 months ).
                      Job done.
                      Then quit work, enjoy your baby and retrain for one of the many well paid IT roles that allows full-time working from home.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X