• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor - unexpectantly pregnant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What I would do is not mention the pregnancy, say you want to think about the full-time offer for a while (say about 3 months ).
    Job done.
    Then quit work, enjoy your baby and retrain for one of the many well paid IT roles that allows full-time working from home.
    At end of contract (2-Feb) I’ll be 23 weeks.
    Pregnancy is 38-42 weeks.
    I could use the money and I don’t want to be out of work that long. Also I know this guy and don’t want to be dishonest for longer than is appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by london17 View Post
      I could likely negotiate 1 fixed day from home and another day every 2nd week. I live in London. I have never commute d less than an hour each way.
      But we get so many posts about what might happen and looks good on paper but the reality is just too difficult to deal with. The guy this week who took a gig he then found to be tooing in rush hour etc.

I personally don't think 1 day a week from home is going to realistically lessen the burden to any manageable level.

I'd have a chat to other new mothers about the impact it has in life and then think about what you are proposing.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I could use the money and I don’t want to be out of work that long. Also I know this guy and don’t want to be dishonest for longer than is appropriate.
        What level of dishonesty is appropriate?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No easy answer then. Something will have to give.
          Personally as a long time contractor I have no scruples about firms and companies.
          They wouldn't think twice about getting rid of you if they had to.
          I don't tend to have personal friendships with clients, just a strictly professional one - and the reason why people contract is precisely the flexibility to work or not as they think fit.
          Last edited by sasguru; 26 October 2017, 11:13.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think you should be straight up and honest. They want you. They know you're a young(ish) woman who is probably fertile so they already accept that risk (legality notwithstanding). If they look after you they get you and your loyalty.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You say unexpectedly...

Surely you know how it works???

Anyway congrats and good luck - as others have said having a child is difficult and the main thing you will find is you are knackered all the time - like for the next 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                What level of dishonesty is appropriate?
                So In this case - by the time we have the ‘talk’ next week I will be 10 weeks. Most women don’t tell people until they are 12- 14 weeks/ 2nd trimester.
                That’s appropriate 👶

Comment

Are you sure it's yours?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    You say unexpectedly...

Surely you know how it works???

Anyway congrats and good luck - as others have said having a child is difficult and the main thing you will find is you are knackered all the time - like for the next 10 years.
                    Not going to go into it but it was not planned.
                    That can happen - even in your mid 30’s 😳

Comment

So In this case - by the time we have the ‘talk’ next week I will be 10 weeks. Most women don’t tell people until they are 12- 14 weeks/ 2nd trimester.
                      That’s appropriate 👶
                      Can you delay the talk for a couple of weeks?

If you hold off on telling them until week 20 or whatever, they're not going to think much of you.
                      Option 1 is as a contractor you don't care.
                      Option 2 is as someone who might want to work for them again, you should care to some degree
                      Option 3 is as a new mother, who knows when/if you'll actually want to go back to work
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X