• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor - unexpectantly pregnant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor - unexpectantly pregnant

I am un-expectantly pregnant (9.5 weeks) and have in the past 5 weeks started a new contract with an ex-boss of mine. We have a very good relationship and I can influence him if needed so providing I am well prepared it could make all the difference.
    The contract runs until the end of Jan 2018. I knew from the outset he wanted me to join fulltime. Fulltime is also the preference of the Senior Director who he reports into. The ‘urgent’ project I was brought in to manage has been postponed by 6 months. They will honour my contract but next week he wants to start discussing going full time.
    My daily rate is £600 and I would likely achieve £85k plus 40% bonus, car etc… Simply put – more expensive to have me on the books.
    He really wants me to join but now I’m pregnant I have no idea what to do...or how to manage the conversation.
    Financially I need to work up to as close to my due date.
    I would like to work here full time but this changes things.

Some other considerations:
    Commute door to door is 80 mins one way. Do-able but with a baby if there are delays I will have issues
    There will be a requirement for international travel
    My husband’s job is not flexible to allow for baby day care drop offs and pick-ups so I require flexibility

The meeting is next week to discuss. Any advice welcome!!!!
    Last edited by london17; 26 October 2017, 10:30.

And the ex-boss is the father?

Comment

That would make the conversation much easier! But no. Boss only!

Comment

Its quite simple really. You need to make a life decision. I would envisage the expected perm offer will be or would be off the table when the 'boss' finds out about the bun. After all who is going to hire someone on a perm deal when they are potentially going to be unavailable for a considerable period.

You contract for flexibility and a decent rate but coming from personal experience, 80-odd minute commutes with a nipper to consider with nursery drop offs is a PITA and not easy. You will be making a tulip storm for yourself.

Its time to make a decision on what you really want from the future as you cant have both.

HTH
        Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by london17 View Post
          Any advice welcome!!!!
          Any advice?

Use a condom.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            Any advice?

Use a condom.
            Or consider moneyshots

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

@Vadhert
              Don’t disagree. How do I convince him to keep me on for a few extra months?

Comment

Can you work from home?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Can you work from home?
                  Yes in my current role they are flexible and I typically work from Home 2 days per week.

Comment

Some other considerations:
                    Commute door to door is 80 mins one way. Do-able but with a baby if there are delays I will have issues
                    There will be a requirement for international travel
                    My husband’s job is not flexible to allow for baby day care drop offs and pick-ups so I require flexibility
                    All of those kill the whole thing dead in my opinion, at least for the short term future.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X