• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inheritance, Savings, IFA, House, Help.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks - I hadn't even really considered the stock market - clearly something I need to look into!

I had considered the "live it up" option, but I think i'd rather work hard now so I can do that a little bit later on.

Goes without saying the first thing I want to do is pay off my debt.

In terms of sports car naturally i had thought of that... I'm actually torn between upgrading my S2000 to a TVR, or buying a race car, towing vehicle, a trailer and doing a season in the BRSCC MX-5 championship...

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      Thanks - I hadn't even really considered the stock market - clearly something I need to look into!

I had considered the "live it up" option, but I think i'd rather work hard now so I can do that a little bit later on.
      You are only in your 20s once with a decent body or one you can easily get into a decent shape.

Take 6 months out at least before your 30 to "explore the world".

You may come back with a nice lady.

Also you've had a tulip time with close family deaths most people don't have until they are above 40 so you do deserve it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Living it up is a luxury wasted on the elderly.

You can do both (live and work) if you own your own house and have no ties. You're in a very fortunate position (other than all the dead people). You can contract when it suits and use bench time to travel. If you don't get enough bench time take 3 month 'sabbaticals'. You could also consider looking for work in other countries to do a bit of both. I hear Silicon Valley has lots of opportunities.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
          Rule no 1, don't take advice from old farts unless it's this

At 27 buy a £50K+ sports car, take a few years off and see the world (or take 6months off at very least) get a few new wardrobes of designer clothes, get your teeth, hair body fixed to the highest standards, the box at your favourite sport, get a hot new girlfriend, when you have spent £150K look for another contract

You are a long term dead
          Would you not be better off saving the hot new girlfriend until you're a bit older than 27? If you can still get a 20yo when you're double her age (or more) then you're doing something right
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

To be fair, I've been with a lass who I'm really quite fond of for a few months now. Still early days but I don't feel any need to go looking for a trade in A trade up would also be pretty difficult - she's probably the most athletic person I've ever known and swam the channel a couple of years ago!

Comment

... and swam the channel a couple of years ago!
              cue the assorted hordes looking for piccies of someone who swam the channel in 2015...
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Did not see that one coming. It appears there are a couple hundred successful swims each year so I'm hoping she's safe from Brillo for now...

Comment

Did not see that one coming. It appears there are a couple hundred successful swims each year so I'm hoping she's safe from Brillo for now...
                  She might be one of his exes.

Is she loaded?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Is she loaded?
                    She works in finance in the City. For a permie, she appears to do very well!

Comment

She works in finance in the City. For a permie, she appears to do very well!
                      You might want to check with Brillo. Although unless you're into older women, I doubt he's married anyone half his age (yet). He has invoiced clients in the city before. I was going to say he'd done work, but that would be pushing it.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X