• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIEsels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    How will they be "cashing in" when it will cost them north of £30bn in lost fuel duties & VAT?
    More VAT on electricity.
    Sliding scale tax on power draw rather than just energy used.
    Road tolls.

You need any more?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Not forgetting all that VAT and other tax from profits on all the leccy car sales.

In a consumer based economy they need to keep the plebs buying stuff they don't really need. If forced obsolescence doesn't work, then new laws 'for the good of the people' will.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

How much do those old intercity trains they use on the east coast mainline pump out - I'd imagine their 40/50 year old engines are hardly the cleanest. Or even the crappy diesel trains that do most of the donkeywork outside of the south east? How about all the freight which is still lugged about the roads and rails using old diesel engines. Nope focus on the tiny amount produced by modern fuel efficient diesel cars - because they are an easy tax grab.

Even at their peak, the majority of cars sold were still petrol. But when you look at the cars on the motorway the vast majority are diesels. Most motorways miles that I have driven don't go right into city centres!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Port Talbot’s rating is presumably down to the [splutter] steelworks.

Comment

It was better when no-one left their village. Little pollution around then....

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
              So the worst bits are London Heathrow, London city airport, Southampton airport, Cardiff airport, Oxford airport, Liverpool airport, Leeds Bradford, and Edinburgh

Interesting although not sure what it's got to do with diesel?
              Jets burn Jet-A1 / Parafin a type of oil/diesel fuel.

Comment

I am really fed up with ill informed politicians kicking the cr@p out of diesel engine cars. Not only because there are other more polluting forms of diesel powered transportation, but because the problem is not actually the diesel engine but diesel fuel. Before anyone starts shouting "but diesel engines run on diesel, the clue is in the name" that simply isn't true. A diesel engine will run on almost anything and will certainly run quite happily on vegetable oil and emit no CO or NO2 at all. The answer is simple tackle the problem at its source...the oil companies. Provide more quality vegetable oil outlets for diesel engine cars and make then cleaner than the so called "green 'leccy cars...which actually use rare and precious/poisonous elements with the batteries requiring the batteries to be carefully disposed of post useful life..Oh hasn't anyone mentioned any of this?..I wonder why?

Comment

A diesel engine will run on almost anything
                  Didn't know that. I'll be bunging chip fat in my van as of tomorrow. Could make us healthier in more ways than one they could use excess fat drained from fat people.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Didn't know that. I'll be bunging chip fat in my van as of tomorrow. Could make us healthier in more ways than one they could use excess fat drained from fat people.
                    That’s what Advocaat is made of.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Because people where doing that the government taxed chip fat put in vehicles.

Also due to the filters now put on diesel vehicles a lot will have problems running on alternative fuels. I'm sure I heard you need a desiel from the 90s before all that Euro ncap nonsense.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X