• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIEsels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIEsels

Toxic air kills 40,000 a year | Daily Mail Online

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

The world's largest cruise ship and its supersized pollution problem

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lution-problem

The majority of pollution in Southampton and Portsmouth is caused by shipping. The local authorities have no powers to control pollution from shipping therefore they are going to restrict diesel cars to bring the levels on NO2.

There are many hospitals and schools burning Diesel for heating and hot water. No filtration there but it does not matter as they can always ban motor cars.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

So the worst bits are London Heathrow, London city airport, Southampton airport, Cardiff airport, Oxford airport, Liverpool airport, Leeds Bradford, and Edinburgh

Interesting although not sure what it's got to do with diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        So the worst bits are London Heathrow, London city airport, Southampton airport, Cardiff airport, Oxford airport, Liverpool airport, Leeds Bradford, and Edinburgh

A relative was saying the other day that when most UK flights were grounded the other year due to that volcanic ash cloud, pollution (other than from the ash cloud) dropped 'massively'. Not sure how true.

However, now many are sucked into diesels being 'better' than petrol cars due to a bit more MPG and a bit less annual road tax, the govermin are now looking at cashing in and moving the suckers over to leccy cars, to rinse and repeat in a few years when they say the national grid cannot cope so everyone needs to pay more.

In the meantime they'll bring in toxin tax in many towns and cities to force people to buy newer cars. Having never owned a diesel I say sooner the better.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I normally buy diesel mainly because my commute does generally mean I get better MPG on an average journey in diesel than petrol

I reckon 45 mpg in diesel - best I could get from a petrol would be maybe 36 mpg (assuming normally driving and not trying to hyper mile like a tw@)

also current car is £30 per year road tax.

Having said that next car will be a petrol due to the kicking of diesels.

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if I could choose who gets killed by fumes from my little van?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

While diesel is more cost effective while travelling to client sites hundreds of miles away, I'd rather pay more for a petrol car as it makes falling asleep at the wheel less likely.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post

You must be looking at a different map. The worst areas are Glasgow and Scunthorpe with 16, followed by Eastbourne, Salford, Leeds and London. The resolution isn't nearly high enough to attribute it to an airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  A relative was saying the other day that when most UK flights were grounded the other year due to that volcanic ash cloud, pollution (other than from the ash cloud) dropped 'massively'. Not sure how true.

However, now many are sucked into diesels being 'better' than petrol cars due to a bit more MPG and a bit less annual road tax, the govermin are now looking at cashing in and moving the suckers over to leccy cars, to rinse and repeat in a few years when they say the national grid cannot cope so everyone needs to pay more.

In the meantime they'll bring in toxin tax in many towns and cities to force people to buy newer cars. Having never owned a diesel I say sooner the better.
                  How will they be "cashing in" when it will cost them north of £30bn in lost fuel duties & VAT?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Wouldn't it be nice if I could choose who gets killed by fumes from my little van?
                    Buy a hosepipe.

Comment

Working...
                    X