• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2017 state of the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I did a contract in Croydon. ...someone tried to set fire to the building.
    A contractor who wasn't renewed. Happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
      Croydon is fine. It has a Marks and a Waitrose so I'm sorted. I don't know anyone who has been mugged. Might happen if you go around fancying yourself and putting on all airs and graces but generally speaking you should be fine.
      The most violent areas of Croydon so far this year according to statistics - Croydon Advertiser

Sounds lovely. I would head to Waitrose and hope I made it back home alive....

Comment

If I was still in the BTL business, I would be looking at the East Croydon area to invest in.
        The "chav cleansing" is well under way, a start-up community has established itself (cheap office space), a new Westfield is to come, the communication links are excellent.
        It's the last central-ish area in London to be redeveloped, has some way to go, but because it's 15 minutes from Victoria or London Bridge, it's clear that the poor will be, erm, resettled.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Life is too short to be anywhere near Croydon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
            Life is too short to be anywhere near Croydon.
            It will a lot shorter if you stay anywhere near Croydon
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by equinox View Post
              Morning,

Just a quick question on how 2017 has been for everyone regarding finding work?

I finished a role end of September and was fortunate enough to pick up a 6 month one rather quickly (Found through a friend rather than agency), I'll be be going for a mortgage next year (2 years accounts) so I was intrigued to understand the market this year and if it's picking up/slowing down.

I'm in the IT industry (Development)

Thanks.
              It has been an odd year. Several job offers - with race to onboard me. I don't know why companies don't see the value of good onboarding. As soon as most of us receive a phone call from an agent who is offshore we put the phone down. Yet go through a UK process, accept the gig, then you are forced through incompetents. Not that all offshorers are incompetent.

Since September, I have had 3 calls from agents I know with serious proposals. In each case they will only pay the current rate. So I am staying put. As I am doing development, in C#, its good for the CV. Like when I did C# for a hedge fund in 2012-2013.

I am getting cheesed off with the number of random emails I get asking for me about some gig with rare skills on my CV. And do I know anyone who has the right skills. Do your own homework!

If a pimp is serious they will call.....

Comment

Working...
              X