• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just been on one of the new GWR Hitachis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been on one of the new GWR Hitachis
    I thought this was going to be another discussion about sex toys...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      5' 3" In Ireland
      4' 8 1/2" in the UK however, the carriage size usually is the same.
      Going to Spain and Belarus, the carriage is jacked up and the wheels reset.
      Russian gauge - 5' 0" - or 1520/1524 for Finland.

Iberian gauge - 5' 6" also used in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
        Seats were hard and seemed narrower than the those on the old 125s. Legroom ok though.

Also felt cramped and stuffy - that said, it was a busy service.

Inter carriage area smaller than the old 125s and no openable windows. Loos are much nicer with a decent sized wash hand basin that dispenses soap, water and hot air in the correct order.

Oh, and there's no buffet car.

Train arrived into Bristol 5 minutes late and didn't seem any faster. I guess we have to wait for them to raise the pantographs before we see any improvements in speed.
        Bristol?

My current clientco is about two hundred yards from Temple Meads station.

Maybe we should meet up for a drink one evening (*), unless you're reluctant to break cover

(*) Provided you don't drone on all evening about steam trains or rock and roll bands of yore
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Bristol?

My current clientco is about two hundred yards from Temple Meads station.

Maybe we should meet up for a drink one evening (*), unless you're reluctant to break cover

(*) Provided you don't drone on all evening about steam trains or rock and roll bands of yore
          I'm actually in Yate, slightly North East of Bristol

N.B. Should you ever bring Yate into a conversation during your sojourn in Bristol it's pronounced YAHTAY not YAYT. Just thought I should bring this to your attention otherwise you may be found floating face down in the Feeder Canal.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            I'm actually in Yate, slightly North East of Bristol

N.B. Should you ever bring Yate into a conversation during your sojourn in Bristol it's pronounced YAHTAY not YAYT. Just thought I should bring this to your attention otherwise you may be found floating face down in the Feeder Canal.

HTH.
            I've often thought about compiling a list of places pronounced differently to how they would appear to be, based on their spelling.

Such as Featherstonehaugh pronounced "Fanshaw", and Simonsbath as "Simmonsbath" etc etc. There are loads of them.

Maybe there's already a web site listing them.

Also, with every place name in Sussex ending in "ly" the latter is almost always pronounced "lie". The one exception is East Hoathly, in which the "ly" is pronounced "lee".
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 1 November 2017, 11:55.

Comment

I've often thought about compiling a list of places pronounced differently to how they would appear to be, based on their spelling.

Such as Featherstonehaugh pronounced "Fanshaw", and Simonsbath as "Simmonsbath" etc etc. There are loads of them.

Maybe there's already a web site listing them.

Also, with every place name in Sussex ending in "ly" the latter is almost always pronounced "lie". The one exception is East Hoathly, in which the "ly" is pronounced "lee".
              Breightmet and Daubhill in Bolton. Tallaght in Dublin, Mouswald and Tothorwald in Dumfries, Moniaive, St John's Town of Dalry and fantastically named Haulgh of Urr....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Breightmet and Daubhill in Bolton. Tallaght in Dublin, Mouswald and Tothorwald in Dumfries, Moniaive, St John's Town of Dalry and fantastically named Haulgh of Urr....
                Nice ones - Thanks!

I'm guessing Breightmet is a shortened Saxon form of "Bright Helmet", named after a large assembly of soldiers that occurred there at some time.

(like Brighton in Sussex, which until the early 19th century was spelled Brighthelmstone, short for "Bright Helmets Town" as it was named in Saxon times)

Comment

Belvoir Park
                  Leigh in Surrey
                  Hunstanton
                  Kirkcudbright
                  Leominster
                  Teignmouth
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Nice ones - Thanks!

I'm guessing Breightmet is a shortened Saxon form of "Bright Helmet", named after a large assembly of soldiers that occurred there at some time.

(like Brighton in Sussex, which until the early 19th century was spelled Brighthelmstone, short for "Bright Helmets Town" as it was named in Saxon times)
                    Breightmet actually quite east BR-EIGHT-met like Br 8 met! Think it cones from Bright Mat, used to lay out flaxen sheets to dry on the hills - not googled it tho. The Rocket pub in Breightmet was one of the roughest in Bolton.
                    Daubhill is Dobble
                    Tallaght is Ta-ler
                    Mouswald is Moozul
                    Tothorwald is Toth-orruld
                    Moniaive (where I used to live) is Mon-ee-ive
                    St John's Town of Dalry - Sint Johns Town of Dal-rye
                    and my favourite, quite easy tho, Haulgh of Urr is Hoff of Urgh - as in The Man with Two Brains nearly!

Comment

feck me! - you lot really SHOULD get out more

Comment

Working...
                      X