• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solo caravanning.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is a prime example of what happens to a so-called contractor forum when you remove serious political discussion to create a Safe Space.

Caravanning indeed!

Comment

If you HAVE to get a caravan, get a little Hymer - Troll I think they're called, or Puck, plenty on eBay - but seriously, seriously, seriously get a small motorhome.

Caravans are only good if you want to go to the Isle of Wight and play cards in the rain. Motorhomes are SO much better, especially for touring. You can use the (usually free) Aires throughout France and Italy, the Stellplatz in Germany and the (insert whatever they're called, I haven't used them) in other countries.

Buy a small one and you can use it for going to the supermarkets etc, park and you're home, no faffing with levellers, legs, batteries etc. just pull up and put the kettle on/open a beer.

Many French Supermarkets have laundry facilities in the car-park

If you buy wisely you won't lose money - buy a classic Hymer and you will probably make it. But you will not have anything like the same freedom in a caravan that you have with a MoHo.

I have just sold my old Hymer and bought a new-ish panel van to convert - auto gearbox, bluetooth, cruise control, Euro 5 so I can drive into cities, 25000 mile service interval, and it does over 40 to the gallon/800 miles to the tank!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        This thread is a prime example of what happens to a so-called contractor forum when you remove serious political discussion to create a Safe Space.

Caravanning indeed!
        Very true - too safe.

We need to talk about camping but not on camp sites out in the wild in other countries.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Caravanning indeed!
          Let’s get this thread punted to the unmentionable subforum by mentioning the unmentionable. Our membership of the unmentionable undoubtedly increased this fantastically dull hobo perversion.

Comment

If you don't want a motorhome, how about going the other way and getting a tent instead? If it's just you, you could get a reasonable sized tent with enough equipment to make it comfy to put in your car, for a fraction of the price of one of those little caravans. You will be using the same facilities for washing etc anyway, and it wouldn't take long to put up a smallish tent, inflate the air matress etc.

Plus if you are going touring through Europe for a few months it would be easier to go into / stay in cities etc in a car without a caravan. Stay in the tent for a few days then stay in a nice hotel for a night of proper comfort before moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Let’s get this thread punted to the unmentionable subforum by mentioning the unmentionable. Our membership of the unmentionable undoubtedly increased this fantastically dull hobo perversion.
              Caravanners are more likely to be pro xxxxxx I would guess, while camper van owners are more likely to be anti.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
                If you don't want a motorhome, how about going the other way and getting a tent instead? If it's just you, you could get a reasonable sized tent with enough equipment to make it comfy to put in your car, for a fraction of the price of one of those little caravans. You will be using the same facilities for washing etc anyway, and it wouldn't take long to put up a smallish tent, inflate the air matress etc.

Plus if you are going touring through Europe for a few months it would be easier to go into / stay in cities etc in a car without a caravan. Stay in the tent for a few days then stay in a nice hotel for a night of proper comfort before moving on.
                A salutory warning.

My brother bought an expensive trailer tent with plans for cheap holidays for him and his family for the next 10 years or so.

Problem No. 1 - The amount of time it takes to put it up.

Problem No 2 (the showstopper) - Tents aren't known for being especially soundproof so when you find you're spending your hard earned fortnight's holiday in Annecy pitched up next to a noisy Liverpudlian family you're not going to come home feeling particularly refreshed.

Comment

Can the 'van tow the Alfa, is more pertinent? 🤣
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    A salutory warning.

My brother bought an expensive trailer tent with plans for cheap holidays for him and his family for the next 10 years or so.

Problem No. 1 - The amount of time it takes to put it up.

Problem No 2 (the showstopper) - Tents aren't known for being especially soundproof so when you find you're spending your hard earned fortnight's holiday in Annecy pitched up next to a noisy Liverpudlian family you're not going to come home feeling particularly refreshed.
                    Problem 1 - 5 minutes to inflate example

Problem 2 - eye mask and ear plugs, plus he's a single bloke travelling round, not on a fortnight's holiday. If he does end up next to someone noisy, just pack up and move on the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                      I am very tempted for a road trip around Europe in-between gigs for a couple of months.

My requirements are to keep my current car, so discounted a motorhome as they are a lot of money for a shed of a vehicle.

I am looking into the following three micro-caravans which are compatible with my current car (Alfa Giulietta).

Used prices are now far off new, so may as well buy new - I am not sure about if I need a separate toilet, or can handle not worrying too much about that, given it will be mostly just myself to worry about.

What's the panels verdict?

Go-Pods.co.uk. Micro Tourer Caravans. Small 2 berth caravans. Teardrop Caravans. Mini Caravans. Best smal caravan. Glamping. Pod Caravans. Teardrop Trailer Tent. Going II Cockpit S caravan.
                      https://freedomcaravans.com/new-cara...rolite-bijoux/
                      https://freedomcaravans.com/new-cara...ite-discovery/
                      I suggest that you go for one of these instead.

Official Romahome Homepage | Romahome
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X