• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solo caravanning.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doconline View Post
    Problem 1 - 5 minutes to inflate example

Problem 2 - eye mask and ear plugs, plus he's a single bloke travelling round, not on a fortnight's holiday. If he does end up next to someone noisy, just pack up and move on the next day.
    Yes, but that's not the "everything but the kitchen sink" type affair that I thought you were alluding to as an alternative to a motorhome.

Comment

So

Alfa Romeo Giulietta | Tow Car Awards

It can tow something up to 1300Kg, easy enough, but keeping that noseweight down to 60Kg will be interesting. For best stability, the noseweight should be about 7-8% of the overall weight of the vehicle (otherwise it would be quite miserable to tow). The means a caravan with an MTPLM of about 850Kg. (You don't want to be bringing the noseweight down by loading the back of the caravan with heavy things, or you'll just make yourself a pendulum).

Get yerself a Disco 4 and a big twin axle fixed bed caravan with proper Alde central heating and be done with it. Most people's aversion to caravanning is the idea of being stuck in a tiny box with no comforts. But the modern 'van is nothing like that.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts.

Tenting - I am a contractor, not a burger flipper! Needing somewhere to use the laptop for gig searching.

Like the motorhome idea, but, we are talking at least £20K for a home a few years old, plus there is the storage aspect.

£10K for a new mini caravan with toilet, bed, fridge for beer is cracking value - I was looking at a second hand small caravan but they are only marginally cheaper so not really worth it. I can get a brand new micro for £7.5K without toilet and just get a portable one - if I get a seat cover to blend it in, and a mini tent for when on site, sorted.

Think I will need to take the plunge and get a tow-bar fitted, maybe hire one for a weekend and see how I get on with towing to see if towing across France would really be a viable option.

Would be interested in exploring any tent packages that come complete with airbed, microwave and USB charging point for the iphone etc mind you...... A lot of faff buying things individually. Maybe Alfa have a camping package tent in a tray to just take out of the boot?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Caravanners are more likely to be pro xxxxxx I would guess, while camper van owners are more likely to be anti.
          Your hypothesis holds (based on a survey of (this) one...)

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          A salutory warning.

My brother bought an expensive trailer tent with plans for cheap holidays for him and his family for the next 10 years or so.

Problem No. 1 - The amount of time it takes to put it up.

Problem No 2 (the showstopper) - Tents aren't known for being especially soundproof so when you find you're spending your hard earned fortnight's holiday in Annecy pitched up next to a noisy Liverpudlian family you're not going to come home feeling particularly refreshed.
          Annecy - car park by the lake, 30 euros a day for a car, free for up to two days in a motorhome.

Time to set up a MoHo - none.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
            So

Alfa Romeo Giulietta | Tow Car Awards

It can tow something up to 1300Kg, easy enough, but keeping that noseweight down to 60Kg will be interesting. For best stability, the noseweight should be about 7-8% of the overall weight of the vehicle (otherwise it would be quite miserable to tow). The means a caravan with an MTPLM of about 850Kg. (You don't want to be bringing the noseweight down by loading the back of the caravan with heavy things, or you'll just make yourself a pendulum).

Get yerself a Disco 4 and a big twin axle fixed bed caravan with proper Alde central heating and be done with it. Most people's aversion to caravanning is the idea of being stuck in a tiny box with no comforts. But the modern 'van is nothing like that.
            I have the 170 horses 2.0 version, so sorted on that front.....

Comment

Caravanners are more likely to be pro xxxxxx I would guess, while camper van owners are more likely to be anti.
              That's all very inneresting, but whether or not caravanners are more pro ****** is more uncertain than whether PIAP is a complete and utter ****.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                That's all very inneresting, but whether or not caravanners are more pro ****** is more uncertain than whether PIAP is a complete and utter ****.
                Caravanners seem to be an older group. Just the impression I get.

Comment

This: VINTAGE BLUEBIRD EUROCAMPER CARAVAN 9 FEET LONG IDEAL 4 MINI BEETLE AUSTIN A30 | eBay and when finished, stick it in the garden and convert to a home office
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Caravanners seem to be an older group. Just the impression I get.
                    My sense is that camper van owners tend to be more arrogant and opinionated, and use Enid Blyton or C.S. Lewis as source material for their day jobs, which might be, say, gardening or economic forecasting.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      My sense
                      You're a cretin, so we're going to have to stop you there.

Comment

Working...
                      X