• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fisk's Poppy Shame

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fisk's Poppy Shame

Link

To make his argument sound rational and measured, he cites his own father's experiences in the trenches and concludes that the wearing of a poppy is something that he and, by extension, all of us plebs are not worthy.

Though it's not hard to deduce from the tone of the article that he is using this as a fig leaf for the contempt he has for the type of person who would wear a poppy

all the boys and girls of BBC World wearing their little poppies again. Bright red they were, with that particularly silly green leaf out of the top
    But now I see these pathetic creatures with their little sand-pit poppies – I notice that our masters in the House of Commons do the same – and I despise them
    Do these pathetic men and women know how they mock the dead

I like Fisk, he's one of the only Western journalists I respect. I'm surprised he's allowed to write what he does in a Western MSM outlet.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I like Fisk, he's one of the only Western journalists I respect. I'm surprised he's allowed to write what he does in a Western MSM outlet.
      He sounds like an arrogant sanctimonious twerp, and writing for the Independent pretty much confirms it.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

As long as he donates, he does not have to wear a poppy....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          As long as he donates, he does not have to wear a poppy....
          I doubt very much that he donates to the British Legion.

In fact that article doesn't mention anything about donations - just sounds like an arrogant, stroppy teenager like a lot of these right on, lefty journos e.g. John Snow, Paul Mason et al.

Comment

He's a big anti-war guy. Pretty much all he writes about is coverage of Syria and what we're really doing there.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

It could have been worse. He could have been growing and processing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                He's a big anti-war guy. Pretty much all he writes about is coverage of Syria and what we're really doing there.
                I'm ok with anti-war.

I just find this article insulting towards people who wear poppies simply because they wish to commemorate the sacrifice made by people, often close family members, in order that we have our freedom today.

This whole piece is laced with sneering sentiments.

The wearing of a poppy is not necessarily the jingoistic act that many would have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  I'm ok with anti-war.

I just find this article insulting towards people who wear poppies simply because they wish to commemorate the sacrifice made by people, often close family members, in order that we have our freedom today.

This whole piece is laced with sneering sentiments.

The wearing of a poppy is not necessarily the jingoistic act that many would have you believe.
                  Reading this particular article I do wonder what he's getting at aside from "they dies for nothing as this war (as all wars) are pointless". It's a touchy subject and he clearly has a unique viewpoint but I don't think he'll win many friends over it.

The only reason I ever read Fisk or the Independent is because they do challenge the party line when it comes to Western foreign policy and intervention.

It does look like he's used memorial day to make a point which I'll agree is not appropriate and is insulting to those who've fought and died.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    He sounds like an arrogant sanctimonious twerp, and writing for the Independent pretty much confirms it.
                    Rubbish. He's absolutely right about absolutely everything, and if you don't agree with him, you're a fascist.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X