BOE Interest Rate is UP BOE Interest Rate is UP - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11

    Godlike

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The pound just dropped....

    oh dear
    Strong and stable Stirling
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

  2. #12

    Contractor Among Contractors

    chopper is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    You'd have thought Sterling would be up, but actually no, the markets are very unimpressed.

    At 0.25%, you can't use central bank policy as a stimulus, you've already done everything. An increase to 0.5% isn't going to reduce consumer borrowing as rates are already rediculously low. I don't think we'll see retail savings rates increase either.

    It's like the Bank hasn't yet realised that the historical use of interest rates at an economic tool is no longer possible. All they've done is try and talk up the strength of the economy. Which makes a change to their usual talking down the economy.

  3. #13

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The pound just dropped....

    oh dear
    Usually an interest rate rise makes the currency appreciate.

    The market thinks that the economy is going to tank?

  4. #14

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    You'd have thought Sterling would be up, but actually no, the markets are very unimpressed.

    At 0.25%, you can't use central bank policy as a stimulus, you've already done everything. An increase to 0.5% isn't going to reduce consumer borrowing as rates are already rediculously low. I don't think we'll see retail savings rates increase either.

    It's like the Bank hasn't yet realised that the historical use of interest rates at an economic tool is no longer possible. All they've done is try and talk up the strength of the economy. Which makes a change to their usual talking down the economy.
    The only way to stimulate the economy now is to stop so much money being concentrated in the hands of so few.

    BoE can't do much about that.

  5. #15

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Strong and stable Stirling
    Unless the Forth floods.....

  6. #16

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,771

    Default

    Time to implement Wing Attack Plan R personal fiscal strategy B.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  7. #17

    bored now

    eek is a fount of knowledge

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Usually an interest rate rise makes the currency appreciate.

    The market thinks that the economy is going to tank?
    Forward guidance most imply that this is it for rate increases and its clear that the market thinks we need more of them....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  8. #18

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Time to implement Wing Attack Plan R personal fiscal strategy B.
    Missiles that target cyclists?

  9. #19

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Missiles that target cyclists?
    No, I'm going to HIKE the price of my gel, while improving delivery, both to the esteemed customers and into their systems.

    Or to be more precise, the gel will be used to coat lead shot.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  10. #20

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    No, I'm going to HIKE the price of my gel, while improving delivery, both to the esteemed customers and into their systems.

    Or to be more precise, the gel will be used to coat lead shot.
    Hair gel? Giant Elien Lizard?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •