• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOE Interest Rate is UP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The pound just dropped....

oh dear
    Strong and stable Stirling
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You'd have thought Sterling would be up, but actually no, the markets are very unimpressed.

At 0.25%, you can't use central bank policy as a stimulus, you've already done everything. An increase to 0.5% isn't going to reduce consumer borrowing as rates are already rediculously low. I don't think we'll see retail savings rates increase either.

It's like the Bank hasn't yet realised that the historical use of interest rates at an economic tool is no longer possible. All they've done is try and talk up the strength of the economy. Which makes a change to their usual talking down the economy.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The pound just dropped....

oh dear
        Usually an interest rate rise makes the currency appreciate.

The market thinks that the economy is going to tank?

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          You'd have thought Sterling would be up, but actually no, the markets are very unimpressed.

At 0.25%, you can't use central bank policy as a stimulus, you've already done everything. An increase to 0.5% isn't going to reduce consumer borrowing as rates are already rediculously low. I don't think we'll see retail savings rates increase either.

It's like the Bank hasn't yet realised that the historical use of interest rates at an economic tool is no longer possible. All they've done is try and talk up the strength of the economy. Which makes a change to their usual talking down the economy.
          The only way to stimulate the economy now is to stop so much money being concentrated in the hands of so few.

BoE can't do much about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Strong and stable Stirling
            Unless the Forth floods.....

Comment

Time to implement Wing Attack Plan R personal fiscal strategy B.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Usually an interest rate rise makes the currency appreciate.

The market thinks that the economy is going to tank?
                Forward guidance most imply that this is it for rate increases and its clear that the market thinks we need more of them....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Time to implement Wing Attack Plan R personal fiscal strategy B.
                  Missiles that target cyclists?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Missiles that target cyclists?
                    No, I'm going to HIKE the price of my gel, while improving delivery, both to the esteemed customers and into their systems.

Or to be more precise, the gel will be used to coat lead shot.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      No, I'm going to HIKE the price of my gel, while improving delivery, both to the esteemed customers and into their systems.

Or to be more precise, the gel will be used to coat lead shot.
                      Hair gel? Giant Elien Lizard?

Comment

Working...
                      X