• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I learned a very important lesson about employment recently

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you work in the city and your client/employer says "my word is my bond" take their bond.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      2013 I was begged by an IB to rejoin. I had skills they could not get.

18 months later redundancy.

Whoever said life was fair was a liar.
      That's the olde 'getting used as a cheap contractor' IT project manager trick in investment banking, in all fairness the IT manager has little control over the amount of budget he receives.

In investment banking I often noticed patterns whereby IT managers who got wind of budget cuts and redundancies would often go on a recruitment drive just BEFORE the redundancies came about so as to protect themselves and their main core of essential project workers who could then be shielded by the more recent project recruits who would be promptly be let go when the redundancies finally came about; I saw this occur countless times.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
        That's the olde 'getting used as a cheap contractor' IT project manager trick in investment banking, in all fairness the IT manager has little control over the amount of budget he receives.

In investment banking I often noticed patterns whereby IT managers who got wind of budget cuts and redundancies would often go on a recruitment drive just BEFORE the redundancies came about so as to protect themselves and their main core of essential project workers who could then be shielded by the more recent project recruits who would be promptly be let go when the redundancies finally came about; I saw this occur countless times.
        I was a permanent.

I remember a manager at UBS in 1996. Took over in June. Doubled the staff. Blamed the previous manager. In 1997 sacked all the new staff and got a huge bonus.

Used that to take over as head of IT at Barcap. Then head of IT at Bridge Systems. Then head of IT at Disney Internet. At that point on $40m a year.....

Comment

Feck me, - 4 pages of stating the obvious.

40 odd years obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            Feck me, - 4 pages of stating the obvious.

40 odd years obvious.
            To be fair some people are sheltered from it until their 40s.

At one employer I had when someone moaned to me they didn't like something I always said to them "Well you can go get another job" If they were over 30 they would then be horrified. Those under 30 all had plans to use the job as a spring board to something else.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think this "lightbulb" moment happens to us all at some time in our career.

Being near retirement now, I look back at the first 25/30 years of my career where it was certainly thought of as a job for life. People starting out more recently have a totally different mindset to careers as do employers in the way they treat employees.

My "moment" came after my 3rd redundancy in 7 years and being particularly badly treated by my last employer. This pointed me towards contracting and I'd never go back.
              We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
                I think this "lightbulb" moment happens to us all at some time in our career.

Being near retirement now, I look back at the first 25/30 years of my career where it was certainly thought of as a job for life. People starting out more recently have a totally different mindset to careers as do employers in the way they treat employees.

My "moment" came after my 3rd redundancy in 7 years and being particularly badly treated by my last employer. This pointed me towards contracting and I'd never go back.
                The thing is if you are under 45 you should have been aware of it from the time you started working.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Brillo was a permie once?! :O

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    Brillo was a permie once?! :O

Yes permie slave of his Ex wife. She still has him on a dog leash.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      Have seen this so many times, so yes the OP is a little naïve or just still learning.

Employers have no empathy with their minions.

I stepped into contracting for 2 reasons:

1. to control my own destiny, i.e. where and when I work, rather than be shunted around the globe on projects where I didn't want to be.
                      2. to make myself immune to employment (or unemployment depending on how you see it).

So point 1 was covered soon as I quit my job. The company wanted me to go work 4 hours away on a 1 year project and I had just moved house and got married -- so that was my trigger to control my own path.

Point 2 - It's taken a few years of contracting, some big losses/lessons but I am mostly immune to the whims of clients or employers.
                      +1

Comment

Working...
                      X