• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Respecting the laws of other countries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respecting the laws of other countries

Briton held in Egypt over drugs made 'honest mistake' - BBC News

Ms Plummer was visiting her husband of 18 months on "just a routine holiday". She reportedly sees him between two and four times a year.
    It is not clear, however, whether the marriage is official.
    Laura, a shop assistant, had told a colleague about her partner's back pain and the work colleague replied that she could get some tablets from her GP.
    It is difficult to get certain things in Egypt apparently so she'd taken talcum powder, shaving gel and razor blades and all sorts of things.

So she does smuggling runs several times a year, finally got caught and is now whining.

Hopefully she will never return to the UK.

She is a prized tool.

Even if drugs are legal in a country outside the EEA you need to travel with your prescription as a minimum but preferably a letter from a doctor. You then shouldn't be surprised if they hold you until they check the doctor exists and wrote the letter/prescription.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

She should have brought him into the country and put them on free NHS and benefits instead...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Briton held in Egypt over drugs made 'honest mistake' - BBC News

Ms Plummer was visiting her husband of 18 months on "just a routine holiday". She reportedly sees him between two and four times a year.
        It is not clear, however, whether the marriage is official.
        Laura, a shop assistant, had told a colleague about her partner's back pain and the work colleague replied that she could get some tablets from her GP.
        It is difficult to get certain things in Egypt apparently so she'd taken talcum powder, shaving gel and razor blades and all sorts of things.

So she does smuggling runs several times a year, finally got caught and is now whining.

Hopefully she will never return to the UK.
        The UK should serve up similar treatment to aggressive tax avoiders.

Comment

The argument that she's just really naive is a stretch to believe. It's not just bringing the drugs into Egypt, but it's the way she got hold of them in the first place. Either one I could accept as being born of stupidity, but both? I'm fairly sure she knew that it was a bit dodgy.

When she gets back to the UK (as is likely to happen pretty soon, since Egypt does not want to screw their already screwed tourism any further), will she be prosecuted for illegally procuring prescription drugs?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            The argument that she's just really naive is a stretch to believe. It's not just bringing the drugs into Egypt, but it's the way she got hold of them in the first place. Either one I could accept as being born of stupidity, but both? I'm fairly sure she knew that it was a bit dodgy.

When she gets back to the UK (as is likely to happen pretty soon, since Egypt does not want to screw their already screwed tourism any further), will she be prosecuted for illegally procuring prescription drugs?
            Nope hence the newspaper campaign.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It all looks like a bit of over reaction to me. Just a few hundred prescription pills, not a bag of cocaine or heroin.

It does actually look like a honest mistake. BF needs it for pain relief or whatever, very expensive in Egypt, GF decides to help him out and procures a years supply.

It might surprise you lot, but such dumb people do exist.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                The UK should serve up similar treatment to aggressive tax avoiders.
                Evaders yes. Good you admit I was an avoider not an evader.

At some point we will find out if the avoidance was allowed or not......

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  will she be prosecuted for illegally procuring prescription drugs?
                  That is not a criminal offence?

If it is, I hope they don't look through all my drug purchases from dodgy countries. Especially Switzerland.

Comment

I did take Tramadol both to HK and to Dubai. With a doctors letter.....

Comment

Working...
                    X