• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax dodging old person exploiting the poor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    And why should there be such a difference?
    Because if all of us were only required to voluntarily pay income tax, none of us would pay anything.

Comment

All odd numbered King Charles should be beheaded in accordance with tradition.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        The UK should be a republic. Can't see the monarchy surviving beyond Queenie.
        You're not exactly an oracle when it comes to predicting things are you son? That world cup score predicting octopus has got more credibility than you.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          All odd numbered King Charles should be beheaded in accordance with tradition.
          The King can choose any of their first names. I reckon Arthur....

Comment

Paradise Papers: Queen dragged into £10m offshore tax row | Daily Mail Online

Politicians say Queen did not know her millions were invested in offshore tax havens

That is no defence for anyone. Except the rich.

Comment

As retrospection has been proved legal I look forward to HMRC applying it. Oh wait, they are rich. Silly me. Forget it.....

Comment

I have a real issue with all this tax "avoidance" in the news today. The BBC article even admits that the "vast majority" of those implicated are acting in a perfectly legal way, therefore they are doing NOTHING wrong.

There is no such thing as a moral duty to pay more tax. You pay what is legal, end of story.

Now I'm not stinking rich so yes it's frustrating to hear that wealthy people are squirreling their money away, but the way to fix this (if indeed it can be fixed) is for ALL countries to sign some kind of agreement on basic minimum taxation so that there are no favourable places to 'hide' money. Until that happens you can't go on a witch hunt and claim people are doing something wrong if it's not illegal.

Let's face it, it's much the same story with us 'tax dodging' contractors just because we operate in a tax efficient way that is different from normal employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
                  the way to fix this (if indeed it can be fixed) is for ALL countries to sign some kind of agreement on basic minimum taxation so that there are no favourable places to 'hide' money. Until that happens you can't go on a witch hunt and claim people are doing something wrong if it's not illegal.
                  Lets start with the world's biggest tax haven - the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    The King can choose any of their first names. I reckon Arthur....
                    Nah George.

Problem with Arthur is no one knows how many came before.

Can't be Phillip as he doesn't get on that well with his dad.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Nah George.

Problem with Arthur is no one knows how many came before.

Can't be Phillip as he doesn't get on that well with his dad.
                      Indeed. He hated school.

Andrew and Edward get on fine with their dad. Lord Porchester.....

Comment

Working...
                      X