• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snowflakes teaching snowflakes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. The pay scales are publicly available and if anyone goes in to teaching not realising the pay is nothing like what it should be for the hours etc they are too stupid to be teaching.
    But compared with say a call centre job which is what you may end up with if you just do a degree it is more money.

Comment

I'm not sure that's true. The pay scales are publicly available and if anyone goes in to teaching not realising the pay is nothing like what it should be for the hours etc they are too stupid to be teaching.
      I think the problem is that the hours are actually far worse than even people expect them to be. Especially if the school doesn't have set courses so everything has to be created afresh by hand and you don't have others helping you....

For a newly qualified teacher any first job is a gamble that may or may not work out....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I think the problem is that the hours are actually far worse than even people expect them to be. Especially if the school doesn't have set courses so everything has to be created afresh by hand and you don't have others helping you....

For a newly qualified teacher any first job is a gamble that may or may not work out....
        Correct. Makes my blood boil when I see the comments about how much holiday they have in the comments section. Anyone that is close to or lives with a teacher knows that is just not the case. God knows why people even chose to do it let alone manage to stick at it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Are you on drugs?

My sister in law is a head of department on £50k pa. In Cornwall. Yes, she has to bring work home but she's in the school 8:30 - 4 most days and she gets 12 weeks' holiday and, no doubt, a gold plated pension to look forward to.
          Correct. Makes my blood boil when I see the comments about how much holiday they have in the comments section. Anyone that is close to or lives with a teacher knows that is just not the case. God knows why people even chose to do it let alone manage to stick at it.
          Oh dear

Comment

Although Mr Ledsham was taught on his university course how to plan lessons, he said they were impractical for the job.
            And here lies the problem

Mr Ledsham said: 'At uni, we were told that each lesson would require a three A4 page plan.
            WTF, who expects to be able to teach 3 pages to 8 y.o. in one sitting, 56 pages / day and that's the plan alone, what about the actual subject....

Besides who thinks/teaches in terms of page count not word count

Comment

Anyone who doesn't enormously respect our countries teachers needs a slap. Teachers teach mostly for the love of teaching. Yeah PIAP you can give anecdotal evidence about 12 weeks holiday and a gold pension on a 50k salary, that's not the case for most teachers. An ex girlfriend of mine was in school from 7.30am setting up, would arrive home at around half five, go to the gym, come back home and then spend the rest of her evening putting together lesson packs or marking. On Saturday she would always factor in having to do about 3-4 hours worth of prep for the following week.

IIRC she was paid 28k per year and had been teaching for 4 years, having gone through 3 years at uni. If I was paid that little after putting in that much effort I'm sorry, but I'd have changed career long before then, as I'm sure many others on here would too.

I met with a few of the other teachers at her school because I was convinced it must just be her over doing it, being bad at her job etc. and oh no - the others were all doing exactly the same sort of thing.

They are incredibly over worked and under payed, given that they are the people responsible for shaping the future of our next generation of business men and women.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                Are you on drugs?

My sister in law is a head of department on £50k pa. In Cornwall. Yes, she has to bring work home but she's in the school 8:30 - 4 most days and she gets 12 weeks' holiday and, no doubt, a gold plated pension to look forward to.
                Right because teaching isn't important and shouldn't be well rewarded?
                Also you're quoting the experience of one person as though it's representative of everyone, are you thick or something?
                Last edited by tiggat; 6 November 2017, 14:14.

Comment

Mrs MUN is a primary school teacher. Her standard day was 8-6 when she was full time plus extra work at home and random extra things dropped on her (like being told she was teaching French the next term which meant having to learn it herself in her spare time). Now she only works two days a week and jobshares she only does two 8-6 days and other work gets fitted in when it can. This does not include parents evenings, school discos, maintainence in the school etc.

I would never consider doing her job, it is a nightmare. Only a few weeks ago a child threw something which hit her in the side of her head and cut it open. She and her colleagues are often verbally abused by parents and sometimes have to deal with parents who are starting to get physical too.

Luckily she is as hard as nails and, apart from being able to bench her bodyweight, is mad into Krav Maga so most middle aged, middle class, pissed parents who thought they could shove around an eight and a half stone women would get a nasty shock.

School holidays are also just that. School holidays, not teacher holidays. She gets time off in the schooll holidays of course but she works for part of them and is unable to take non emergancy time off other than in those holidays so it is not the wonderful deal it sounds.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    Mrs MUN is a primary school teacher. Her standard day was 8-6 when she was full time plus extra work at home and random extra things dropped on her (like being told she was teaching French the next term which meant having to learn it herself in her spare time). Now she only works two days a week and jobshares she only does two 8-6 days and other work gets fitted in when it can. This does not include parents evenings, school discos, maintainence in the school etc.

I would never consider doing her job, it is a nightmare. Only a few weeks ago a child threw something which hit her in the side of her head and cut it open. She and her colleagues are often verbally abused by parents and sometimes have to deal with parents who are starting to get physical too.

Luckily she is as hard as nails and, apart from being able to bench her bodyweight, is mad into Krav Maga so most middle aged, middle class, pissed parents who thought they could shove around an eight and a half stone women would get a nasty shock.

School holidays are also just that. School holidays, not teacher holidays. She gets time off in the schooll holidays of course but she works for part of them and is unable to take non emergancy time off other than in those holidays so it is not the wonderful deal it sounds.
                    This. Ex MattFX also had to put up with this being thrown at her in primary school, one of the items being a small table, followed by a chair. She still had to teach the child for the rest of the term before he was finally diagnosed as having special needs and needing to go to a school which would better accommodate him. Unfortunately, schools do not want to expel or exclude pupils, because it looks bad in their regular stats.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      My teachers were always having a nervous breakdown.
                      Did they all start making miraculous recoveries about the time you left school?
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X