• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd world NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Most of you will know I'm not a fan of the NHS. Personally I think its a 3rd rate service which restricts our access to proper healthcare. The lack of funding argument only goes so far- the whole organisation in riddled with people who just cannot be bothered. Some of them I'd be wary about leaving my hamster in their care.

However, nothing can compare you for dealings with child/adolescent mental health services. I've got a 14 year old son whos really really struggling with his issues. Its affecting him really badly as well as everyone else in the family.

It truly is eye opening to see how the nhs deals. GP won't do a thing just refer them. If it get there - GP forgot to send it off. Any counselling you have to pay for yourself. Not so bad for someone like me but of course, not everyone can afford this at £30£40 a pop. Glad to say counsellor did manage to get CAMHS referral.

Then you get someone called primary care mental health arrange an appointment. This is 3 months down the line. You get one appointment and thats it. Try calling them back with concerns - no chance. I spoke to them and said it was at crisis point - THREE WEEKS to call me back.

Eventually, you get a CAMHS appointment. Still no psychiin sight. So you get evalution, box ticked, targets met, all goes quiet again. No-one interested.

Only option is private. I paid £200 for private appt for my neck recently. Child/adolescent psychiatrist appointment - £900. Bit ric that.

If I was in USA (albeit insurance funded) he'd have been diagnosed and treatment plan in place months ago.
    So you're saying that the NHS is crap, but if you lived in the USA and had private health insurance, it would be better.

Comment

My daughter has autism and the NHS were pretty on the ball with it. We got the relevant tests and paperwork done pretty quickly.

My son is virtually deaf and they were useless for a while. We went through months of using a nose balloon which he had to blow up twice a day which did nothing. We went back to the appointment to be given a nose balloon and got told he had to blow it up twice a day. We explained we had actually already done all of that and we needed the next step they just got confused and told us to come back in three months. At one point he had a cold etc. so his hearing was really bad. They gave us another nose balloon and told us he needed to blow it up several times a day. This lead to his ear drum bursting and us being told at hospital that we most definitely should not have been given a nose balloon in that situation.

Once we got passed that stage things were fine. He now has hearing aids. They are pink with yellow twirling pattens and he loves his 'hearing robots'.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        We don't need and want a US system where the hospitals dump old confused people down the road from hostels. (We also don't want a Canadian or Finnish system.)

We could have either an Australian, French, German etc system. Yes that would mean some people paying more but at least psychiatry and physio would be funded properly plus old people wouldn't be allowed to bed block or be dumped in the street.
        I agree with this. The US system is a joke and is expensive.

I've also came to the conclusion private health care in this country is also a joke, it's great when it works. I mean it's just so much easier. But when they won't cover you or when there is a mix up with your authorization code then it's useless and costly. In the end we trust doctors too much and in the private health care there is an incentive to operate or choose the procedures where they can make the most money.

The NHS needs to be properly funded.

Comment

We don't need and want a US system where the hospitals dump old confused people down the road from hostels. (We also don't want a Canadian or Finnish system.)

We could have either an Australian, French, German etc system. Yes that would mean some people paying more but at least psychiatry and physio would be funded properly plus old people wouldn't be allowed to bed block or be dumped in the street.
          Must admit I dont know these systems in detail but its got to be better than what we've got.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Some private insurance excludes things like psychiatry and physio due to their costs.
            Yep looked into it a while back and I'd agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              My daughter has autism and the NHS were pretty on the ball with it. We got the relevant tests and paperwork done pretty quickly.

My son is virtually deaf and they were useless for a while. We went through months of using a nose balloon which he had to blow up twice a day which did nothing. We went back to the appointment to be given a nose balloon and got told he had to blow it up twice a day. We explained we had actually already done all of that and we needed the next step they just got confused and told us to come back in three months. At one point he had a cold etc. so his hearing was really bad. They gave us another nose balloon and told us he needed to blow it up several times a day. This lead to his ear drum bursting and us being told at hospital that we most definitely should not have been given a nose balloon in that situation.

Once we got passed that stage things were fine. He now has hearing aids. They are pink with yellow twirling pattens and he loves his 'hearing robots'.
              Seems to depend what part of the country you're in. They're talking autism amongst other things for son but no-one has decided yet.

Comment

Must admit I dont know these systems in detail but its got to be better than what we've got.
                I don't think so. I've only looked at the US system to be fair but it's a shambles. I'm not one of the USA haters, I actually like the place but they have got health care wrong.

Comment

Most of you will know I'm not a fan of the NHS. Personally I think its a 3rd rate service which restricts our access to proper healthcare. The lack of funding argument only goes so far- the whole organisation in riddled with people who just cannot be bothered. Some of them I'd be wary about leaving my hamster in their care.
                  That would be why half the world wants to come and use it? Can't be that bad.

If I was in USA (albeit insurance funded) he'd have been diagnosed and treatment plan in place months ago.
                  And boy would you complain about the costs, excesses and lack of end to end care. I think you've no idea how the system really works over there do you.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...l-in-us-system
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Seems to depend what part of the country you're in. They're talking autism amongst other things for son but no-one has decided yet.
                    And finally PC discovers what the issue is.... Hint money won't fix that for you no matter how much you think it might...

And as this is teenage mental health issues no country does that a good job about it....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

However, nothing can compare you for dealings with child/adolescent mental health services. I've got a 14 year old son whos really really struggling with his issues. Its affecting him really badly as well as everyone else in the family.

It truly is eye opening to see how the nhs deals. GP won't do a thing just refer them. If it get there - GP forgot to send it off. Any counselling you have to pay for yourself. Not so bad for someone like me but of course, not everyone can afford this at £30£40 a pop. Glad to say counsellor did manage to get CAMHS referral.

Then you get someone called primary care mental health arrange an appointment. This is 3 months down the line. You get one appointment and thats it. Try calling them back with concerns - no chance. I spoke to them and said it was at crisis point - THREE WEEKS to call me back.

Eventually, you get a CAMHS appointment. Still no psychiin sight. So you get evalution, box ticked, targets met, all goes quiet again. No-one interested.

Only option is private. I paid £200 for private appt for my neck recently. Child/adolescent psychiatrist appointment - £900. Bit ric that.

And yet people still puff out their chests, get all dewey eyed about it and admonish anyone they perceive as not making a fair contribution as a war criminal.

Increased taxes won't make any difference - it will just fuel more public sector non-jobs while they do the bare minimum for front line services to prevent civil unrest.

Comment

Working...
                      X