• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd world NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Most of you will know I'm not a fan of the NHS. Personally I think its a 3rd rate service which restricts our access to proper healthcare. The lack of funding argument only goes so far- the whole organisation in riddled with people who just cannot be bothered. Some of them I'd be wary about leaving my hamster in their care.

However, nothing can compare you for dealings with child/adolescent mental health services. I've got a 14 year old son whos really really struggling with his issues. Its affecting him really badly as well as everyone else in the family.

It truly is eye opening to see how the nhs deals. GP won't do a thing just refer them. If it get there - GP forgot to send it off. Any counselling you have to pay for yourself. Not so bad for someone like me but of course, not everyone can afford this at £30£40 a pop. Glad to say counsellor did manage to get CAMHS referral.

Then you get someone called primary care mental health arrange an appointment. This is 3 months down the line. You get one appointment and thats it. Try calling them back with concerns - no chance. I spoke to them and said it was at crisis point - THREE WEEKS to call me back.

Eventually, you get a CAMHS appointment. Still no psychiin sight. So you get evalution, box ticked, targets met, all goes quiet again. No-one interested.

Only option is private. I paid £200 for private appt for my neck recently. Child/adolescent psychiatrist appointment - £900. Bit ric that.

If I was in USA (albeit insurance funded) he'd have been diagnosed and treatment plan in place months ago.
    Correct it is sub third world in lots of ways...

If you need a heart stent there are lots of NHS hospitals where there is next to no chance of it happening, and you will be left to die... very poor treatment of early detected prostate cancer mostly people are just left to die slowly

I know a few NHS physiatric nurses and they are equally disgusted as you at the service they are able to provide, "pathways" are introduced by managers with NO scientific rationale or evidence, their favourite annoyance is Alistair Cambell who goes on at length about how good the NHS physiatric services were to him... What Alistair does not realise is that he was given VIP treatment, as mostly politicians and people in the public eye are..., and he had and has frequent and often direct consultant access. You see the NHS really is "Animal Farm" come to life, some really are much more equal than others...

The NHS is a national disgrace and embarrassment, yes its not at all about money, its about lack of buying power in the end customers hand. We should copy instead the system of New Zealand, Belgium or Italy where its a whole lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

Increased taxes won't make any difference - it will just fuel more public sector non-jobs while they do the bare minimum for front line services to prevent civil unrest.
      I disagree/agree with you. Having been through the process of obtaining funding to look after a family member with dementia it's clear there is a huge funding issue. Whilst we spent months obtaining funding the relative was blocking a bed in the stroke department, again causing other issues for the hospital.

I agree there are people that should not be allowed anywhere near health care, for example Brandon in Manchester. If you are unlucky to have him assigned to your elderly parent do everything you can to get rid of him. But we also met people that are dedicated and just as professional as you and me.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
        Correct it is sub third world in lots of ways...

If you need a heart stent there are lots of NHS hospitals where there is next to no chance of it happening, and you will be left to die... very poor treatment of early detected prostate cancer mostly people are just left to die slowly.
        Oh my eyes. What am I reading....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I disagree/agree with you. Having been through the process of obtaining funding to look after a family member with dementia it's clear there is a huge funding issue. Whilst we spent months obtaining funding the relative was blocking a bed in the stroke department, again causing other issues for the hospital.

I agree there are people that should not be allowed anywhere near health care, for example Brandon in Manchester. If you are unlucky to have him assigned to your elderly parent do everything you can to get rid of him. But we also met people that are dedicated and just as professional as you and me.
          That's just the result of a lack of a joined up service. Care costs and funding are local authority issues not NHS ones sadly - hence the NHS have problems due to local authorities delaying things and having little incentive to help...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Im sure NladyUK will confirm the NHS is one step away from Irish system, ie same infra, bog standard NHS for the proles, Laya private health for the workers, €60 per GP visit, prescriptions capped. At €144 per month.

A two tier system with the same one tier system underneath it.

It preposterous, a fully funded national health care system for everyone but everyone has private health care too cos the gov has driven it into the ground suitable only now for the exceptionally disadvantaged.

Can see the same pattern starting to happen in UK...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              That's just the result of a lack of a joined up service. Care costs and funding are local authority issues not NHS ones sadly - hence the NHS have problems due to local authorities delaying things and having little incentive to help...
              I understand and you are right but if you relative requires health care and not just a care home then the NHS can be fully funded and will pay for care that a dementia person requires.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                I understand and you are right but if you relative requires health care and not just a care home then the NHS can be fully funded and will pay for care that a dementia person requires.
                Let's wait and see the results of the Manchester budget experiments...

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix
                  NHS is good at saving lives. In fact the best in the world. Heart attacks, cancers, brain tumours etc you can get the best care for next to no expense.

But surely mental health and cold and cough are not life threatening ? Why do you need an emergency appointment for that ?? What your son needs is warm care and love at home, not a shrink talking to him.
                  Mental health problems can certainly be life threatening, or debilitating.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    This is true. However, in England social care comes under the health service, not local authority and it's an even worse mess (not because of this I should add).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      This is true. However, in England social care comes under the health service, not local authority and it's an even worse mess (not because of this I should add).
                      Adult Social care is a legal requirement for local authorities (how does that fall under the NHS)...

Mental health is an NHS area however with interesting boundaries...

Comment

Working...
                      X