• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd world NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    If you are not happy with treatment for your autistic/aspergers child, then as a contractor you can afford to pay up front privately rather than driving around in your expensive show-off cars.
    There are several problems with your statement. First not everyone in the UK is as well off as most of us. Second even if you have the funds to pay for Private, what do you pay for in case of autism spectrum disorder? There isn't' exactly a cure, some therapies can help the kid adapt better in the real world, but he/she still needs supports and understanding from everyone else around.

My 4.5 y.o. has most likely an autism spectrum disorder. We first got concerned when by the age of 2.5 he hasn't spoken a single word, so approached the GP, got referrals to speech and language therapy sessions etc. They have been going in circles ever-since mostly producing no results. despite several indications that he might be suffering from autism spectrum disorder it took the NHS 2 years to schedule a formal assessment with the wait list being 16-18 months. Which means he will go to school this September barely speaking a 100 words and with extremely short attention span and no way for the school to recoup any money they will have to spend on extra assistance because there is no formal diagnosis.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      There are several problems with your statement. First not everyone in the UK is as well off as most of us. Second even if you have the funds to pay for Private, what do you pay for in case of autism spectrum disorder? There isn't' exactly a cure, some therapies can help the kid adapt better in the real world, but he/she still needs supports and understanding from everyone else around.

My 4.5 y.o. has most likely an autism spectrum disorder. We first got concerned when by the age of 2.5 he hasn't spoken a single word, so approached the GP, got referrals to speech and language therapy sessions etc. They have been going in circles ever-since mostly producing no results. despite several indications that he might be suffering from autism spectrum disorder it took the NHS 2 years to schedule a formal assessment with the wait list being 16-18 months. Which means he will go to school this September barely speaking a 100 words and with extremely short attention span and no way for the school to recoup any money they will have to spend on extra assistance because there is no formal diagnosis.
      The old saying "walk a mile in someone else's mocassins" is never more apt until you experience a child with these issues.

I've had all sorts from people who think they know it all or who have watched one program on TV.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Nice comments mate. Glad you think something like this not important - methinks you have a bit of a narrow view of the world.
        He's run away...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

NHS should be free and fit for purpose, and funded by industry, not the common man. Why?

Cos the common man makes the stuff, and when it's made consumes/buys the stuff the drive the profit for industry. Without that, a sick, ill workforce/consumer base isn't gonna make anything or buy anything. Means no profit.

The workers do truly own the means of production. And consumption. I think Marx (well Engels) missed the last bit.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            NHS should be free and fit for purpose, and funded by industry, not the common man. Why?

Cos the common man makes the stuff, and when it's made consumes/buys the stuff the drive the profit for industry. Without that, a sick, ill workforce/consumer base isn't gonna make anything or buy anything. Means no profit.

The workers do truly own the means of production. And consumption. I think Marx (well Engels) missed the last bit.
            Your wish is just around the corner...Korbyn is coming

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Your wish is just around the corner...Korbyn is coming

Spasibo Tvarischu Korbynu za nasha novikh shastlivogo destvo....

AtW will hopefully correct my Russian grammar - it's wrong I know....

Comment

do you mean third world because most of staff are from India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Philippines...I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                  do you mean third world because most of staff are from India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Philippines...I agree.
                  Meanwhile those countries suffer appalling medical services due to 1st World countries poaching their medical professionals. It's not right, Britain really does need to invest more in our own people to become self sufficient in doctors, nurses, consultants etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

Our eldest did not utter a word until 3-4, now 6. The youngest, now 4, just won't shut up. Can't win em all.

We feared Autism also. Actually 'language delay' was the issue. Concentration, she can sit with a jigsaw puzzle for an hour and be completely content. Just weird.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I can see I posted about this a while ago....

It gets worse. Hes 15 now and taller than me. About 9" taller than his mother. Things ain't good. Its scandalous the support you don't get.

CAMHS are completely useless. Their advice - call the police. Hmm not going to help is it?

Its an eye opener to see you're own kid like this. He just does not seem to comprehend the seriousness of what he does AT ALL. Its amazing to be honest.

Lost track of the number of organisations I've spoke to who've said sorry we're closing soon we've had funding withdrawn or theres a 6 month waiting list.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X