• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd world NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd world NHS

Most of you will know I'm not a fan of the NHS. Personally I think its a 3rd rate service which restricts our access to proper healthcare. The lack of funding argument only goes so far- the whole organisation in riddled with people who just cannot be bothered. Some of them I'd be wary about leaving my hamster in their care.

However, nothing can compare you for dealings with child/adolescent mental health services. I've got a 14 year old son whos really really struggling with his issues. Its affecting him really badly as well as everyone else in the family.

It truly is eye opening to see how the nhs deals. GP won't do a thing just refer them. If it get there - GP forgot to send it off. Any counselling you have to pay for yourself. Not so bad for someone like me but of course, not everyone can afford this at £30£40 a pop. Glad to say counsellor did manage to get CAMHS referral.

Then you get someone called primary care mental health arrange an appointment. This is 3 months down the line. You get one appointment and thats it. Try calling them back with concerns - no chance. I spoke to them and said it was at crisis point - THREE WEEKS to call me back.

Eventually, you get a CAMHS appointment. Still no psychiin sight. So you get evalution, box ticked, targets met, all goes quiet again. No-one interested.

Only option is private. I paid £200 for private appt for my neck recently. Child/adolescent psychiatrist appointment - £900. Bit ric that.

If I was in USA (albeit insurance funded) he'd have been diagnosed and treatment plan in place months ago.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

We don't need and want a US system where the hospitals dump old confused people down the road from hostels. (We also don't want a Canadian or Finnish system.)

We could have either an Australian, French, German etc system. Yes that would mean some people paying more but at least psychiatry and physio would be funded properly plus old people wouldn't be allowed to bed block or be dumped in the street.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was assuming every contractor has private insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        I was assuming every contractor has private insurance?
        Some private insurance excludes things like psychiatry and physio due to their costs.

Comment

I should have added psychiatry being expensive and physio being cheap.

If you do physio without going through your private provider the physio can get more money in their pocket and the cost is cheaper.

Comment

Also even if you have private insurance you still have to see a fecking GP.

Comment

Don't worry, the NHS is bound to improve in the years to come ....
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

And remember the Welsh run your own NHS so you can't blame Westminster

I've spoken to a few people here behind the scenes who are going through CHAMS difficulties, it all depends on the NHS Trust, when we were down in Somerset the offering was horrendous, now we are in Leeds it's been great.

Most of the help starts with the school so if you don't have them on your side fighting the battle with you, you will never get anywhere with CHAMS.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Also even if you have private insurance you still have to see a fecking GP.
                  No not with the one I have, I can visit a private GP (they are just extremely rare in the UK, especially outside London) as well, but in general NHS GPs are much quicker willing to refer if you mention to them you have private insurance

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    No not with the one I have, I can visit a private GP (they are just extremely rare in the UK, especially outside London) as well, but in general NHS GPs are much quicker willing to refer if you mention to them you have private insurance
                    Notice I said you still have to see a fecking GP.

Comment

Working...
                    X