• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snow Chains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    on the Quattro it's the back wheels isn't it, ok I will check the book ;-)

Milan.
    Is it permanent 4wd or not? (Audi have 3 different 4wd systems currently, two of them are front drive until traction slips, one is permanent 4wd)

If it's permanent 4wd then you need to put chains on all 4 wheels to keep the circumferences the same. If it's not, then put the chains on the rears, as the car will try to drive them when the fronts slip.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Is it permanent 4wd or not? (Audi have 3 different 4wd systems currently, two of them are front drive until traction slips, one is permanent 4wd)

If it's permanent 4wd then you need to put chains on all 4 wheels to keep the circumferences the same. If it's not, then put the chains on the rears, as the car will try to drive them when the fronts slip.
      Depends on the car. My 4x4 Cossie was rears only.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Why don't you just do a dry run to get the hang of it?
        Do this. Twice I've said to people "You'll need chains to get up to the ski lodge carpark if it snows. Make sure you try it before the holiday". And they didn't... and the chains were the wrong size!

I've used them once on Swiss motorways (going up from Vevey towards Bern during a blizzard), but mostly on the backroads - and to get to the aforesaid ski lodge carpark. Since I've had a AWD, I've not needed them, but carry them anyway (and yes, I've done a dry run).

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        It's not a hard and fast rule. My Volvo XC70 AWD requires the chains on the front wheels. Read the manual.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Winter tyres do the job fine in the 4x4 I've found. The only time I've seen the chains coming out was when the snow was driving down hard as we're driving up hill. Otherwise just keep the lightweight chains in the back of the motor.
          M+S tyres are best on snow because the snow trapped in the tread will stick to the snow on the road. When the snow is compacted and turns to ice, chains will work better unless; you have studded tyres. You will need to limit your speed with chains.

Some chains are light weight and only fit for getting out of problems short term
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Yes loads of times. Watch youtube and do a dry run,

Wear your outdoor clothes in the car with a HV vest when driving in snow
            take heavy duty gloves with you
            sleeping bag
            hot drinks in a flask
            spare charged battery in boot
            extra water
            and lots of pairs of spare dry underpants
            ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
            X