• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snow Chains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow Chains

I have a set of snow chains for the Q7, they cost a packet and are really heavy duty they weigh a ton, not the necklace style chains that you get for the smaller cars

thankfully, I've never needed them, although I have to carry them in some places that we go to

putting the chains on

I've never done it, and dread the time I will have to

I've been in traffic jams in the mountains in Swiss where the police stop you and if you don't have 4x4 you have to put your chains on

and I've seen the others struggling to get the damn things on

saw a husband and wife having a right divorce once over the snow chains

hence the question, has anybody ever put the chains on ?

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    has anybody ever put the chains on ?
    I get NLyUK to put the chains on.

Comment

Why don't you just do a dry run to get the hang of it?

Also make sure to put them on BEFORE you get stuck, as after that you will have to dig through the snow to put them on

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        I have a set of snow chains for the Q7, they cost a packet and are really heavy duty they weigh a ton, not the necklace style chains that you get for the smaller cars

thankfully, I've never needed them, although I have to carry them in some places that we go to

putting the chains on

I've never done it, and dread the time I will have to

I've been in traffic jams in the mountains in Swiss where the police stop you and if you don't have 4x4 you have to put your chains on

and I've seen the others struggling to get the damn things on

saw a husband and wife having a right divorce once over the snow chains

hence the question, has anybody ever put the chains on ?

Milan.

Yes loads of times. Watch youtube and do a dry run,

Wear your outdoor clothes in the car with a HV vest when driving in snow
        take heavy duty gloves with you
        sleeping bag
        hot drinks in a flask
        spare charged battery in boot
        extra water
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We have these for the SUV: High Tech Snow Chain Spikes-Spider
          And just chains for mine.

The spiders are easy to fit as long as you remember to put the disks on in advance.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Why don't you just do a dry run to get the hang of it?

Also make sure to put them on BEFORE you get stuck, as after that you will have to dig through the snow to put them on
            that's no fun is it

but ok, you've tempted fate, I might just give it a try :-)

Milan.

Comment

I have snow chains but I have no idea how they work nor do I have the intention of putting them on, I will simply commit suicide by sliding the car off the mountain.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Winter tyres do the job fine in the 4x4 I've found. The only time I've seen the chains coming out was when the snow was driving down hard as we're driving up hill. Otherwise just keep the lightweight chains in the back of the motor.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've used snow chains lots of times. As others have said do a practice run before you go. It may help to mark up the chains with tape or similar if they are adjustable so you can repeat the settings. Also don't forget gloves and something to wipe your hands on/kneel on.

Also if you hsve a 4x4 double check the handbook which wheels need chains. Sometimes it's not obvious.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    I've used snow chains lots of times. As others have said do a practice run before you go. It may help to mark up the chains with tape or similar if they are adjustable so you can repeat the settings. Also don't forget gloves and something to wipe your hands on/kneel on.

Also if you hsve a 4x4 double check the handbook which wheels need chains. Sometimes it's not obvious.

on the Quattro it's the back wheels isn't it, ok I will check the book ;-)

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X