• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Real Names in Forums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Names in Forums

Morning All,

real names in forums

we all grew up with the Data Protection Act, Privacy, pseudo names on the Internet

and today's generation have grown up with Facebook and no privacy and full visibility.

Could it ever happen that CUK would become like Facebook and everybody use their real names ?

If yes, would you share with the rest what your pseudo name was ? Or would you claim a different one ?

Who would associate my previous history with ? hmm, difficult thing really, who on CUK displays the exemplary behavior that you would associate your former self with, I guess the only answer is moi.

Milan.

You're assuming people use their real names on facebook.

I do have a facebook account with my real name but that's just a basic profile for anyone wanting to check up on me prior/post interview to have an online presence, and to stop anyone else putting a fake profile on their using my real name.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Not sure what you mean. I am using my real name.

Comment

For me it's a case by case thing. I don't ever put anything on this account that I wouldn't say in the context of a pub or face to face, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd want every employer to be able to associate immediately. So I don't worry too much about being ID'd (And people here now know me from meets etc), but I do value some degree of privacy.

On Facebook and LinkedIn, for example, I'm a lot more cautious of what I post. Rather than viewing it as forum for discussion, I see it as much more "Standing in the middle of town with a megaphone" and tailor to that degree.

Comment

The problem is if you use your real name then the politically correct thought police in allsorts of our society can get all judgmental.

We already live in a society where the mainstream views of the majority of the people are rejected by the mainstream media as not acceptable for broadcast.

The only people who can speak freely using their real name are independently wealthy, or never need or expect to work again (retired, sick unlikely to recover, living on benefits unlikely to get off them, etc)

If there is an outside chance you may need to work for the public sector, in defence, for a media client, at all in the rest of your life... then its far safer to have a bland public web persona in your real name.

And keep the controversial debate stuff to other names.

Having said that I often reveal who I am to people who express an interest, but not in a way that leaves a public trail.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            The problem is if you use your real name then the politically correct thought police in allsorts of our society can get all judgmental.

We already live in a society where the mainstream views of the majority of the people are rejected by the mainstream media as not acceptable for broadcast.

The only people who can speak freely using their real name are independently wealthy, or never need or expect to work again (retired, sick unlikely to recover, living on benefits unlikely to get off them, etc)

If there is an outside chance you may need to work for the public sector, in defence, for a media client, at all in the rest of your life... then its far safer to have a bland public web persona in your real name.

And keep the controversial debate stuff to other names.

Having said that I often reveal who I am to people who express an interest, but not in a way that leaves a public trail.
            Man you talk some crap you do.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FFS, can you cretins stop wittering and talking bollux.

Thanks,
              Rupert Ponsonby-Smythe
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

"Everyone" doesnt use their 'real' name on farcebook.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Not sure what you mean. I am using my real name.
                  And photo.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    And photo.
                    I wish I had that much hair on my head.

Comment

Working...
                    X