• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best savings rates....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids savings account - Halifax offering 4%

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Short term thinking. I'm talking over 20 years. 40K is a small sum after all.
      Some of my index funds are emerging markets, now is the time to get in if you have a 10-20 year outlook.
      Very little invested in UK securities.
      And yes I have a diversified portfolio including cash and property.
      You are talking over 20 years?

Good news - I am also.

Refer to graph and the peaks. You would be *much* worse now, particular relative to inflation. As I said, don't invest right now if you're new to it, because as you can see the past peaks aren't hugely below the existing peak. Why is it a peak? Companies aren't doing particularly well, consumer loans are much higher, spending is trending downwards. If you invest some huge lump sums in the next 6 months you will regret it. Instead split those into 36 lump sums and invest per month instead; that's far better advice:

Comment

Working...
      X