• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Not To Do As A Landlord

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    It's OK as a company to not "make friends" with black people, gays or pregnant women, just not on that grounds. No one can force you to employ a member of these groups if they lack the required skills/experience. Just like this Landlord could have instructed the Letting agency to include a bad smell clause in the tenancy agreement, to ensure cleanup is paid by the tenant/deposit at the end. Instead of what he did.
    Can you define a bad smell in a contract? Would it be reasonable for a tenant to argue that curry is a pleasant smell?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Can you define a bad smell in a contract? Would it be reasonable for a tenant to argue that curry is a pleasant smell?
      Don't see why not, ok maybe not bad smell, but pungent or something of the sorts

You can define non-smoking policy, so why not non-curry policy?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Why the hell should a property owner not have the right to choose who they rent to on the basis of race?
        FTFY

Comment

Don't see why not, ok maybe not bad smell, but pungent or something of the sorts

Can you in reality enforce a non-smoking policy? I suppose you could have detectors installed.

I doubt a court would evict anyone for making a curry, even if you specified in the contract all the foods that could constitute a curry. Microwave etc.

Comment

Can you in reality enforce a non-smoking policy? I suppose you could have detectors installed.

I doubt a court would evict anyone for making a curry, even if you specified in the contract all the foods that could constitute a curry. Microwave etc.
            No idea if you can enforce the non-smoking policy, but sure as hell you can refuse prospective tenants that smoke based on it.

I also doubt that the court would evict anyone for making curry, to be honest after watching some episodes of Nightmare tenants, Slum landlords I kinda doubt the court can evict anyone for smoking either.

Cigarette smoke and curry smell have a lasting effect and are detectable by the average human, if you (as any sane Landlord must) do regular inspections of the property you will notice it.

Comment

No idea if you can enforce the non-smoking policy, but sure as hell you can refuse prospective tenants that smoke based on it.

I also doubt that the court would evict anyone for making curry, to be honest after watching some episodes of Nightmare tenants, Slum landlords I kinda doubt the court can evict anyone for smoking either.

Cigarette smoke and curry smell have a lasting effect and are detectable by the average human, if you (as any sane Landlord must) do regular inspections of the property you will notice it.
              I agree with you, it would be a right pain and could be costly to redecorate etc. I just don't know if it's enforceable. Almost, everyone has a curry.

Comment

You surely can use the fact of smoke smells to withhold the deposit for cleaning. Proving tenants were smoking in order to kick them out, if they absolutely refused to admit it... dunno.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You surely can use the fact of smoke smells to withhold the deposit for cleaning. Proving tenants were smoking in order to kick them out, if they absolutely refused to admit it... dunno.
                  Tobacco smoke stains walls, ceilings, curtains, windows, etc if the people doing it have poor hygiene standards so you wouldn't need to use the smell but can use the staining of the interior decoration to withhold the deposit.

If the place smells strongly of any particular food then then the cooker, splashbacks, floor, etc likely haven't been cleaned properly and you can use the same criteria.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Tobacco smoke stains walls, ceilings, curtains, windows, etc if the people doing it have poor hygiene standards so you wouldn't need to use the smell but can use the staining of the interior decoration to withhold the deposit.

If the place smells strongly of any particular food then then the cooker, splashbacks, floor, etc likely haven't been cleaned properly and you can use the same criteria.
                    You can check if they smoke or not at the beginning and factor it in. Same with pets. I'd you've a smoker in the house you know you are going to have to spend money and time putting it right or you can say no if you want so it's a different situation.

Some range of tenants use the deposit in lieu of last rent as well which is highly frustrating so can't always guarantee you'll get it all to spend and getting it back from the independent people that hold it in the event of a dispute is also stacked against the landlord.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's very thinly veiled racism though. I doubt if it gets looked at it will stand up. Would the story above be any different if he`d said curry eaters instead of coloured? I doubt it.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X