• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Not To Do As A Landlord

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    You have minor breaches of a contract. A judge wont evict someone for a minor breach, like cooking and making a bad smell.
    Problem is unless the tenant is doing something criminal all breaches of contract will be seen as minor.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Well he has lost the case now.
      linky

A buy-to-let tycoon who banned Indian and Pakistani tenants "because of the curry smell" has been ordered to ditch the policy.

Landlord Fergus Wilson, who owns hundreds of properties in Kent, denied being racist and told a court he rents to a number of non-white people.

An injunction against the policy was granted at Maidstone County Court.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), which brought the action, said his remarks were unlawful.

Proceedings began after an email from Mr Wilson to his lettings agency, asking to ban "coloured" people from renting his homes, was leaked to The Sun newspaper.
      The injunction was granted for three years and orders that Mr Wilson cannot apply a lettings policy stopping Indian or Pakistani people renting his properties.

During the hearing, Mr Wilson described the case as "political correctness gone mad" which could have a devastating effect on the lettings industry.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Problem is unless the tenant is doing something criminal all breaches of contract will be seen as minor.
        Exactly, which is great and tulip at the same time.

Comment

If he had found reason to ban white tenants instead of the "colored's", I wonder whether he would have similarly found himself in court?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            If he had found reason to ban white tenants instead of the "colored's", I wonder whether he would have similarly found himself in court?
            Feck me you’re a thick twat.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

It depends, if it was an Asian landlord banning whiteys because of the fish and chip smell then I'm sure he would have been taken to court.

But I take your point casual racism exists for whites also, you only have to look at farmers and the native Britain's are lazy and won't pick crops etc. The truth is min-wage goes a lot farther in some countries than in others, I'm sure many British people would work in the fields if it would pay for their mortgage.

Comment

He would only be able to ban white tenants who came from the same country, who were the same religion, same age etc as him.

Everything else falls under the Equality Act.

You don't have to explicitly state you don't want someone but if the other party can prove the likelihood of your refusal is due to a protected characteristic then you are in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Why the hell should a property owner not have the right to choose who they rent to?

His big mistake was to send an email. A word to his agent would have been fine, and prevented any comeback.
                  Because it ends up with signs saying 'No Jews' or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    He would only be able to ban white tenants who came from the same country, who were the same religion, same age etc as him.
                    So the law allows you to be racist towards your own race, but not other races. That doesn't seem ethical to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Feck me you’re a thick twat.
                      Huh?

Comment

Working...
                      X