• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Not To Do As A Landlord

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Why the hell should a property owner not have the right to choose who they rent to?
    Why the hell should a property owner have the right to choose not to rent to Blacks, or Irish?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Why the hell should a property owner have the right to choose not to rent to Blacks, or Irish?
      Interestingly couldn`t the same be said for DSS? Why is it just race?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You are allowed to discriminate against DSS tenants due to how they pay you e.g. weeks in arrears. You can't however kick someone out if they started renting your property as a working person then ended up on benefits, unless they 8+ weeks in rent arrears or it is the end of their fixed term.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Tobacco smoke stains walls, ceilings, curtains, windows, etc if the people doing it have poor hygiene standards so you wouldn't need to use the smell but can use the staining of the interior decoration to withhold the deposit.
          Well yes. If the place is a mess you keep the deposit. But someone asked about non-smoking being enforceable which I take to mean, could you kick someone out for smoking in breach of contract?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You are allowed to discriminate against DSS tenants due to how they pay you e.g. weeks in arrears. You can't however kick someone out if they started renting your property as a working person then ended up on benefits, unless they 8+ weeks in rent arrears or it is the end of their fixed term.
            Ah interesting. I didn't know that.. That's not really discrimination though it?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It isn't just race it is sexual orientation, disability, gender and age.

Comment

Ah interesting. I didn't know that.. That's not really discrimination though it?
                No because you are doing on affordability. Another reason landlords give for not being able to rent to DSS is insurance policies disallowing certain types of tenants e.g. unemployed ones.

Comment

DSS tenants are also harder to get insurance on your house for.

Comment

It isn't just race it is sexual orientation, disability, gender and age.
                    But not culinary prefefence.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      But not culinary prefefence.
                      Could one stipulate no meat-eaters do you think? Or vegan-only? Is a landlord legally allowed to make stipulations like "no sausages in my house" if it is NOT religiously-linked, just eccentricity?

Comment

Working...
                      X