• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Not To Do As A Landlord

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Not To Do As A Landlord

linky

The UK equality watchdog is seeking an injunction against buy-to-let mogul Fergus Wilson after he told his letting agent to ban “coloured” tenants because they left curry smells in his properties.

It emerged in March that Wilson, who at one time owned almost 1,000 homes across Ashford and Maidstone in Kent, emailed a local letting agency, Evolution, saying: “No coloured people because of the curry smell at the end of the tenancy.”

At the time, Rebecca Hilsenrath, the chief executive of the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), called the remarks “truly disgusting ... as well as being unlawful instructions from a landlord to a letting agent”.

In a case in front of Maidstone county court, the EHRC will ask the court “if it agrees with us that Mr Wilson’s lettings policy contains unlawful criteria and, if so, to issue an injunction”.

An unrepentant Wilson said he would vigorously fight the legal action, insisting he was not a racist.

Speaking before the hearing, Wilson said: “All the local people here agree with me. It’s perfectly legal not to buy a house because you think it smells of curry. If you are in Luton or Bedford, maybe that won’t make a difference. But in Ashford and Maidstone, 99% of the population are not from India or Pakistan. The problem is that if you have a £250,000 mid-terrace house, the valuation drops by £50,000 if it smells of curry.”

The property tycoon, who previously announced the £250m sale of his empire but said the process was taking a long time, will be representing himself in court.
    Guy is not only racist but as thick as pig-tulip as well. Only a fool stands before a judge without a lawyer when fighting such organisations.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

My Mum used to cook curry every week and people complained that our house stunk of curry, so he has a point.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I had some had some Chinese mature students in once and after the left the kitchen was a mess. Absolutely everything under a thick layer of grease with the outside drains blocked solid with rice and fat. The smell took an age to get rid of but certainly not as bad as curry. More down to them not looking after it but the style of food didn't help. It was something I'd rather not do again if I had the choice but obviously you can't specify as he did. I do feel his pain but the way he's handled it from start to finish is really poor.

He's gonna lose for sure and they are going to make an example of him I reckon.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 8 November 2017, 14:11.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If only there was a way to cover yourself against tenants leaving your property in a mess. Such as holding a deposit, or factoring in the cost of maintenance when setting the rent.

Seems like a great plan B to me... buy his £250k houses for £200k because they smell of curry, clean them and sell on.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          My Mum used to cook curry every week and people complained that our house stunk of curry, so he has a point.

My local curry emporium is usually packed of a weekend evening, and I swear 95% of the people in there are white. Which sort of kicks his racist argument in the bollox. I cook a curry (quite a good one if I say so myself) two or three times a month, and as long as I remember to put the extractor fan on, Mrs M. doesn't seem to mind. The idea that a curry is wholly an ethnic thing is more than ridiculous. No wonder this idiot landlord wants to sell his portfolio, under his rules, almost everyone would be disqualified. What a
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Non-Indians buy Indian takeaway cooked by Indians, once a week. Indians cook Indian food in their own home every day.

He's still a tool - you can clean a house - but I don't think your argument holds water, ethnic people DO cook ethnic food.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

From eclectic perspective, curry smell can and should be treated as cigarette smoke - a life choice with lasting results on the property.

Landlords that are bothered, should but a clauses in the tenancy agreement accordingly. In this case the approach was indeed racist and I have little doubt what the court will say on the matter

Comment

Apart from the fact he's clearly a racist ****, my biggest problem is that he's conflating personal choices with the choices of a company. When you enter into business in the UK, you are agreeing to abide by various regulations laid down to prevent abuse and unfair practices.

It's my right as an individual to not make friends with black people, gays or pregnant women. But as a business employing somebody, I don't get that right and rightfully (IMHO) so. And it's the same here.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  linky

Guy is not only racist but as thick as pig-tulip as well. Only a fool stands before a judge without a lawyer when fighting such organisations.
                  Why the hell should a property owner not have the right to choose who they rent to?

His big mistake was to send an email. A word to his agent would have been fine, and prevented any comeback.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Apart from the fact he's clearly a racist ****, my biggest problem is that he's conflating personal choices with the choices of a company. When you enter into business in the UK, you are agreeing to abide by various regulations laid down to prevent abuse and unfair practices.

It's my right as an individual to not make friends with black people, gays or pregnant women. But as a business employing somebody, I don't get that right and rightfully (IMHO) so. And it's the same here.
                    It's OK as a company to not "make friends" with black people, gays or pregnant women, just not on that grounds. No one can force you to employ a member of these groups if they lack the required skills/experience. Just like this Landlord could have instructed the Letting agency to include a bad smell clause in the tenancy agreement, to ensure cleanup is paid by the tenant/deposit at the end. Instead of what he did.

Comment

Working...
                    X