• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nice payrise if you can get it...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice payrise if you can get it...

Aslef train drivers accept Southern rail deal - BBC News

And I thought it was all about driver-only trains...

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Principled stand

Comment

It was the guard who were striking because they were being replaced by a mirror, wasn't it? The drivers obviously need extra money for the trouble of having to use the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        It was the guard who were striking because they were being replaced by a mirror, wasn't it? The drivers obviously need extra money for the trouble of having to use the mirror.
        That's the sad part, they weren't replacing the guards (or at least not yet), they were changing their role from door duty to walk along the train assisting, inspecting etc. Granted DOO trains would open the door for sacking the guards eventually, but the end deal is essentially the same. So the whole thing was just a pretext for extortion with 100'000 passengers used as hostages by the greedy tulips.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

"As part of the Aslef deal, Southern must aim to have a second safety-trained person on every DOO train."

Can you not read?

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
            "As part of the Aslef deal, Southern must aim to have a second safety-trained person on every DOO train."

Can you not read?
            I can but not very well, tbh.

Anyway I digress - this is the bit that stuck out when I saw the pictures "Members voted by 79.1% to accept the resolution which includes a five-year pay increase worth 28.5%." So what's to do about staffing ?

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post

Can you not read?
              This was the original proposal - to keep the guards on board the train and on payroll. It wasn't automatically sacking the guards in favor of DOO. Unions claimed that such arrangement is unsafe.

After inflicting misery to 100'000s in the course of 18+ months they no longer find it as unsafe.

What changed their mind?

Aaaaah....

Comment

And also this RMT piece in the papers today - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a3685096.html

Comment

Working...
                X