• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSCE Mathematics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSCE Mathematics

At the risk of putting it in here...

The wife wants to try for GCSE Maths, she missed most of the 5th year (old skool) with illness but she got a D then, now wants to see if she can knock it up to a C as many jobs are asking for this. Oddly enough some are asking for a degree for an Admin job! But I digress...

Has anyone recently taken this? (Or your kids have.)I remember back in the day (1991 IIRC) there were 4 papers, I took papaers 2&3 so I got C, (the highest possible with those papers), I have now seen it has changed to number grading 1-9, with 4 and higher equivalent to A-C.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 9 November 2017, 11:29.
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

What's a GCSE grade C in oold money? i.e. O' Level quivalent?

Comment

1991 had 5 papers and you took 2 of them - paper 4&5 was the only way you could get an A.

There is a little confusion about what counts as a "pass" these days, since DfE have described a 4 as a "pass" and a 5 as a "good pass" - nobody knows (or will know for a little while yet) whether colleges or universities will accept a 4 as a pass or not (there have been indicators that some will accept a 4 and some will accept a 5).

What does seem to be true about GCSE subjects at the moment is that a certain amount of the curriculum has been pushed down from A level to GCSE - whether that's true for maths or not I'm not certain, but I did struggle with some of my daughter's homework the other day
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
        What's a GCSE grade C in oold money? i.e. O' Level equivalent?
        Yes, I remember back in the day my parents not having a clue about GCSE's until the teachers told them that C or higher is equivalent.

Also remember getting the mother of all bollockings from them both after the mock exams parents evening in the 5th year.

Fergie's hairdryer had nothing on them. *shudder*

qh
        Last edited by quackhandle; 9 November 2017, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          At the risk of putting it in here...

The wife wants to try for GCSE Maths, she missed most of the 5th year (old skool) with illness but she got a D then, now wants to see if she can knock it up to a C as many jobs are asking for this. Oddly enough some are asking for a degree for an Admin job! But I digress...

Has anyone recently taken this? (Or your kids have.)I remember back in the day (1991 IIRC) there were 4 papers, I took papaers 2&3 so I got C, (the highest possible with those papers), I have now seen it has changed to number grading 1-9, with 4 and higher equivalent to A-C.

qh
          Very dangerous, she is probably trying to calculate how much she will get in a divorce.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            1991 had 5 papers and you took 2 of them - paper 4&5 was the only way you could get an A.

There is a little confusion about what counts as a "pass" these days, since DfE have described a 4 as a "pass" and a 5 as a "good pass" - nobody knows (or will know for a little while yet) whether colleges or universities will accept a 4 as a pass or not (there have been indicators that some will accept a 4 and some will accept a 5).

What does seem to be true about GCSE subjects at the moment is that a certain amount of the curriculum has been pushed down from A level to GCSE - whether that's true for maths or not I'm not certain, but I did struggle with some of my daughter's homework the other day
            Thank you, I thought it was 4 papers, but so long ago. I remember paper 2? was a doddle but 3 was bloody hard.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

WTFS - no one knows whether a 4 or a 5 is a pass at the moment. Equally things have been moved around and my 2 have done things I didn't do until the upper 6, equally they have missed out bits I would have done by their age....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Very dangerous, she is probably trying to calculate how much she will get in a divorce.
                Mrs qh was a crack shot in the Army (one of only two other that regularly won shooting comps) She also did a sniper course.

I'm a good boy who behaves himself.

qh

Comment

Thank you, I thought it was 4 papers, but so long ago. I remember paper 2? was a doddle but 3 was bloody hard.

qh
                  I did papers 4 and 5, then additional maths, then AS maths and some QA and stats at university - and I still had to use google and Skype to find out how to find the nth term in an arithmetic and geometric progression (year 7) and issues with factoring an equation (year 9) the other day.

The method for teaching multiplication has changed from when I was at school (now using the Chinese grid method, which I learnt in history as the Elizabethan method), and so has ways to work out factorising and multiples.

So it could be hard work - though if she missed a lot then at least she won't be comparing how it used to be taught to how it's currently taught
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Mrs qh was a crack shot in the Army (one of only two other that regularly won shooting comps) She also did a sniper course.

I'm a good boy who behaves himself.

qh

The mind boggles what goes on in your bedroom with her dressed in uniform. Do you play the naughty new recruit?
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X