• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US 'loses 60% of career ambassadors' since January

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US 'loses 60% of career ambassadors' since January

A telling tale of what the future holds for the world's 2nd largest economy. In any business or project I've managed one thing is certain, I need people I can trust, who are independent, and with capable proven experience. What the US is doing here is tantamount business suicide. I suppose in many ways not to different from the UK's exit from the EU trade teams who have on won deals our behalf for years.

The United States has lost 60% of its career ambassadors since January, according to the head of the labour union that represents US diplomats.

"Leadership ranks are being depleted at a dizzying speed," Barbara Stephenson, head of the American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) chief, wrote.

Ms Stephenson, a former ambassador to Panama, says there has been a "decapitation" of top talent.

The BBC has asked the Department of State for a comment.

"The rapid loss of so many senior officers has a serious, immediate, and tangible effect on the capacity of the United States to shape world events," Ms Stephenson writes.

The former ambassador to Panama writes in a forthcoming issue of the Foreign Service Journal that the art of diplomacy must be defended under an administration that she argues appears bent on "dismantling government as we know it".

Trumplomacy: Is Tillerson getting ready for a Rexit?
    The decline of US diplomacy?

Analysis by Barbara Plett Usher, State Department correspondent, BBC News

This letter is the latest cry of distress from diplomatic veterans warning about the "mounting threats" to the State Department.

They say that the exodus of disillusioned top career officers is depriving the institution of decades of diplomatic experience.

And that the freeze on lower level hiring will weaken it in the future. Then there is the slow pace of political appointments to crucial jobs.

That has picked up lately but it's been hindered by the small pool of qualified personnel: President Trump refuses anyone who opposed his candidacy, and most of the Republican foreign policy establishment did.

Mr Tillerson is in the midst of reorganising and streamlining the department. Previously he's rejected claims that a staffing crisis is affecting the institution, listing the many international issues on which he's working and naming the career diplomats on whom he relies for help.

All of which leaves Ms Stephenson to wonder darkly about who's behind the alleged impetus to "weaken the American Foreign Service."

As well as envoys, the staff numbers of other high-ranking diplomatic ministers have fallen, reports the organisation, which was founded in 1924.

Mrs Stephenson writes that the decisions by career diplomats (who, unlike political appointees, do not change with every White House administration) was fuelled in part by the government's decision to "slash promotion numbers by more than half".

A hiring freeze has also led to a drop in entry level staffers joining the US agency tasked with worldwide diplomacy.

"The talent being shown the door now is not only our top talent, but also talent that cannot be replicated overnight," Mrs Stephenson writes.

She adds that if such an exodus were to occur within military ranks, "I would expect a public outcry".

TillersonGetty Images
    Speculation is mounting that Tillerson himself won't stay for much longer
    Mrs Stephenson also points to Congress' opposition to such drastic cuts to the department, saying the Senate has labelled doing so "a doctrine of retreat".

In her scathing editorial, she questions "Why such a focus on decapitating leadership? How do these actions serve the stated agenda of making the State Department stronger?

"Where is the mandate to pull the Foreign Service team from the field and forfeit the game to our adversaries?"

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright - who was a staunch supporter of Hillary Clinton - told MSBNC on Wednesday that she is "deeply, deeply troubled" by the lack of staffing, "because you cannot be a major power in the world and not have a functioning diplomatic service".

A year after President Donald Trump's election, there are no nominees for scores of unfilled senior posts at the Department of State, according to the tracker by the Washington Post and Partnership for Public Service.

Last week Mr Trump was asked about the vacancies at the US foreign affairs ministry.

"I'm the only one that matters," he replied.
    source: US 'loses 60% of career ambassadors' since January - BBC News
    Last edited by scooterscot; 9 November 2017, 13:16.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A telling tale of what the future holds for the world's 2nd largest economy. In any business or project I've managed one thing is certain, I need people I can trust, who are independent, and with capable proven experience. What the US is doing here is tantamount business suicide. I suppose in many ways not to different from the UK's exit from the EU trade teams who have on our behalf for years.

What are you wittering on about you cretin?
    Any business or project you've managed?
    It's clear from your posts that you couldn't manage your way out of a paper bag.
    Not only that but your statistical knowledge (which presumably you're selling to the Germans) is woeful.

Anyway, ambassadors deal with foreign policy, not trade.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      While I don't dispute your point about scooter's post being wittery, as always, I think these days ambassadors play a large part in trade negotiations, or at least facilitating these, and they probably always have.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Any business or project you've managed? .
        I could tell you. But them I'd have to cut you up so small the worms wouldn't have to chew. And even then the worms might still become a security risk.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

WTF are you on about now?

Comment

You're wrong. Buying Ferrero Rocher is trade.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Get rid of the old foggies and have some fresh blood in.

Preferably some that can organize a p1ss-up in a Russian hotel with h00kers. Or a p1ss on .....

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                You're wrong. Buying Ferrero Rocher is trade.
                If it's the 'Ferrero Rocher' service that's on NLyUK's pricelist* then it counts a rough trade.

* between the Hungarian Hot Wax and the Dutch Sandwich.

Comment

Can we have a forum just for scooter? Somewhere he can post his drivel, not often I agree with sasy but it's drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    A telling tale of what the future holds for the world's 2nd largest economy. In any business or project I've managed one thing is certain, I need people I can trust, who are independent, and with capable proven experience. What the US is doing here is tantamount business suicide. I suppose in many ways not to different from the UK's exit from the EU trade teams who have on won deals our behalf for years.

How many bitcoins do you want for this? TBH With me you've lost all credibility with your attempts 2 extort money from fellow CUK members...

Comment

Working...
                    X