• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free at last from clutches of HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free at last from clutches of HMRC

Just used the HMRC live chat thingy to close my self assessment record as I had no UK income or assets in 2016/17. Free at last of emigration paperwork...

Literally five minutes later, I have a good offer of consultancy work for a UK client. I should be able to do all of it from Ireland. Any UK tax implications if I have to do the odd chargeable day, physically present in the UK?

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Just used the HMRC live chat thingy to close my self assessment record as I had no UK income or assets in 2016/17. Free at last of emigration paperwork...

Literally five minutes later, I have a good offer of consultancy work for a UK client. I should be able to do all of it from Ireland. Any UK tax implications if I have to do the odd chargeable day, physically present in the UK?

If you're registered in Ireland and most of your work is there, it shouldn't be an issue (at least not until after March 2019)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If you're registered in Ireland and most of your work is there, it shouldn't be an issue (at least not until after March 2019)
      March 2019, I may be setting up a Ltd in NI. For now, this will do.Still need to get it signed of course, so bananas are premature.

Comment

The banana was for being free of HMRC, which is more important than having a contract!
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          The banana was for being free of HMRC, which is more important than having a contract!
          True enough.

Comment

IIRC, it took Gonzo several years of completing a zero return before they got the message.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              IIRC, it took Gonzo several years of completing a zero return before they got the message.
              I just went on to the live chat, answered a few questions and it was done. 10 minutes in total.

Comment

I just went on to the live chat, answered a few questions and it was done. 10 minutes in total.
                <placeholder for next year when you're bitching that they have contacted you again>
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  <placeholder for next year when you're bitching that they have contacted you again>
                  I have the PDF of the conversation. That will do me fine.

Comment

...Any UK tax implications if I have to do the odd chargeable day, physically present in the UK?
                    No.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X