• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free at last from clutches of HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    They're no problem if you are paying VRT.
    But claiming it back on export.....

It's an illegal tax, supposed to be no import/export taxes/duties within EU.

Comment

Nope, coming back for a day or so will be a problem because it restarts the clock for being ordinarily resident in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Nope, coming back for a day or so will be a problem because it restarts the clock for being ordinarily resident in the UK.
        Eh? Explain...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          But claiming it back on export.....

It's an illegal tax, supposed to be no import/export taxes/duties within EU.
          Not at all. It is definitely nothing about import, just registration.

Comment

Not at all. It is definitely nothing about import, just registration.
            Aye but it's disguised as a registration tax, and has VAT added. This Cork guy I met was looking at cars in NI was buying this Merc AMG 6.3 litre jobbie, 2010 model year, he reckoned the 'registration' cost to export to South was €10000, plus VAT, and he was prepared to pay it. 36% of OMSP (and VAT). Trouble is no-one knows what the revenue deem the OMSP to be on oddball cars.

€10k isn't a registration fee, it's a sham and everyone knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Aye but it's disguised as a registration tax, and has VAT added. This Cork guy I met was looking at cars in NI was buying this Merc AMG 6.3 litre jobbie, 2010 model year, he reckoned the 'registration' cost to export to South was €10000, plus VAT, and he was prepared to pay it. 36% of OMSP (and VAT). Trouble is no-one knows what the revenue deem the OMSP to be on oddball cars.

€10k isn't a registration fee, it's a sham and everyone knows it.

Comment

HMRC, Head of Anglo-Irish Enforcement.

Reaction as nlady asks for a review of her Dutch sandwich.

Comment

It was having them both on my back that was bothering me. To be fair, the Revenue Commissioners had my tax refund in my bank account three days after my tax return was filed.
                  Especially as you couldn't offer a cash discount to either of them...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                  X