• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

November Budget - Stop Public sector IR35 rules coming into the Private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD email saying no mention of IR35 reform in budget. This site says there was. Who's fibbing?

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
      SJD email saying no mention of IR35 reform in budget. This site says there was. Who's fibbing?
      Neither? Nothing in the speech, a consultation in the Red Book.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        Technically it was mentioned, as jamesbrown said, in the red book. Nothing in the speech itself.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          House prices are determined by how much you can borrow - this stamp duty change isn’t going to result in a £95,000 increase in house prices.
          No. They are not.

Comment

Stamp duty will impact house prices in a small way. Those people who are saving for a deposit will now be able to buy sooner thus keeping the big old bubble inflated.

I wish I had a massive pin in the shape of 5% base interest rate.

Happy days about the delay of private sector IR35 rules. I was pretty sure it was coming this time

Comment

Funny how we're all happy we dodged the IR35 bomb, so came away happy, when in reality we got more dividend tax. I think I see how that one was spun.

Comment

Originally posted by tinybrain View Post
                An extra 90,000 tax when I buy a house - so maybe I'll have to do another contract after all.

( Workings - 5000 stamp duty, 95 percent mortgage means prices up 100,000 tax at 50 percent, so now pay 100,000 minus 10,000 = 90,000 extra)
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
                  Funny how we're all happy we dodged the IR35 bomb, so came away happy, when in reality we got more dividend tax. I think I see how that one was spun.
                  That was previously announced back in March which is why this budget contained so little. Half of it was already announced
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
                    Maybe because the IR35 changes had the potential to make a massive impact on everything we do whereas the change in the tax free dividend band will cost us all £225 in extra tax a year.

I know which I can live with.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      All great fun, but totally wrong.

We should be emphasising that we are suppliers of knowledge and skills, operating in the exact same way as any other business and engaged on a B2B basis, making all this tulip about "we're not employees" totally unnecessary. Even Andy Hallett agreed with me on that point.

Sadly it's the agencies that have got us into this position by selling us as temporary workers under their control. That is what needs to be broken.
                      Still agree with you. The market should / will fragment into:

1) professional contractors, delivering services, taking risks (getting shafted and being paid late) without hiding behind pseudo employment protections.

2) Permietractors who will go on the books or use umbrellas.

Also please don’t just blame the agencies, look at the clients for using the tax and employment regime as a subsidy for their workforce.

I repeat, professional contractors should see 2018/9 as an opportunity.
                      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                      X