• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing A Charity Conumdrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing A Charity Conumdrum

I am taking part in a charity event next summer and want to choose a charity to represent. Normally I opt for a local cancer charity, however this year I want to do something different.

I have given myself a choice of 1 of 3 charity types, all relating to children;
    - children with cancer
    - anti bullying
    - homeless children

Really hard deciding which one to go for and I don't think I can choose more than one of them. I'm leaning towards children with cancer, but such a tough choice as I then feel guilty about the ones I have not chosen.

Other than gut feel I am not sure how I can decide which one to go for. Either way hoping to raise as much as I can for these good causes.

Pick one close to your heart that you feel good about. Don't ask a bunch of strangers which charity to chose.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, just to clarify I'm not asking to chose just sharing my thoughts on this.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Pick one close to your heart that you feel good about. Don't ask a bunch of strangers which charity to chose.
        And virtue signal where people know you.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Do stuff for charity. Don't tell everyone else about it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IMO, children's charities (rightly) get a lot of support.

I always go with Crisis as charity of default - single homeless adults get little sympathy.

I spent 6 months sleeping rough in my teens - it was the worst time of my life, and I've put up with some crap since then!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              IMO, children's charities (rightly) get a lot of support.

I always go with Crisis as charity of default - single homeless adults get little sympathy.

I spent 6 months sleeping rough in my teens - it was the worst time of my life, and I've put up with some crap since then!
              Shelter and crisis had always been my go to charities for giving money to and raising money for. They just don’t have the appeal of others. Nowadays it’s st martins in the fields https://www.smitfc.org as both crisis and shelter seem to spend too much on chuggers and inserts in private eye.

The fact it also allows me to remember a friend who was almost the vicar there (he turned it down to avoid being on the bishop track) is just another bonus point
              Last edited by eek; 13 November 2017, 21:07.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

OP there will be a local homeless charity near where you live that would welcome donations.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  OP there will be a local homeless charity near where you live that would welcome donations.
                  Just don’t pick any charity that uses chuggers. Any charity getting to that point is as much aiming to inconvenience other charities as it is to make money.
                  I’ll have to dig up the article but there was a few classics reported last year
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Just don’t pick any charity that uses chuggers. Any charity getting to that point is as much aiming to inconvenience other charities as it is to make money.
                    I’ll have to dig up the article but there was a few classics reported last year
                    Oh I know how chuggers work. I have a friend who looked into it when he was jobless a few years ago. He was pissed of with what a scam it was as before he was jobless he had set up a direct debit to give to a charity.

Smaller local charities tend not to bombast you with expensive junk mail after you have donated to them so you have to threaten to complain to the Information Commissioner to get them to stop filling your recycling bin. They just say "Thank you" and leave you alone.

Then there are the JustGiving pages. BT Donate doesn't take money from your donation unlike certain other companies.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X