• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Oh no! Maybe it was actually me that was in the wrong! I don't think so though, certainly didn't spot a ticket sticking out from the seat or one of those fancy cape things they put on them. Hmmmm. Food for thought.
    No, I think you just met the train weirdo.

I've had many encounters with him myself in my time.

Comment

Woe betide you if you ever come across this lot on your rail travels:

Trainspotters on the Rampage

(I believe they're called the Peak Army. Like the SAS of trainspotters)

Comment

Had an early finish coming back from London once - I was ten minutes early for the empty train sat patiently in the station. The entire and I mean entire carriage of seats was empty, I was the only one in there and i was sat on the inside seat of a table, trying to be polite. Of the entire carriage, a bloke comes and sits down next to me. For god only knows what reason.

Being the polite and courteous person I am, I assume he must be bored and forgotten his headphones, so offer up some conversation. I get a couple of half grunted answers and then he proceeds to put his headphones on!?

I ended up moving to the table 2 rows down and enjoyed a very pleasant and otherwise uninterrupted journey. But serious wtf was wrong with that guy!?
        If a random person sat next to me in a train when the carriage is almost empty I would get up and find another seat. My view is that the person who plonked him/her self next to you has no awareness of his/her surroundings and will therefore will be a total moron.

Rule number 2 is never offer up conversation in a train in London... I don't even make eye contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
          I was travelling back from London once in a seat I had reserved, I popped to the toilet and when I returned I saw that some young upstart was sitting in my seat when the entire carriage was empty. I sat next to him in the hope he might get the hint and move yet he had the audacity to ask me how it was going! I put my headphones in and he soon got the message and moved 2 rows down. Some people...
          I was on a train travelling back from London. Walked into a carriage which was empty apart from two people sat next to each other grunting. I thought it would be wise to find another carriage!!

Comment

Had an early finish coming back from London once - I was ten minutes early for the empty train sat patiently in the station. The entire and I mean entire carriage of seats was empty, I was the only one in there and i was sat on the inside seat of a table, trying to be polite. Of the entire carriage, a bloke comes and sits down next to me. For god only knows what reason.

Being the polite and courteous person I am, I assume he must be bored and forgotten his headphones, so offer up some conversation. I get a couple of half grunted answers and then he proceeds to put his headphones on!?

I ended up moving to the table 2 rows down and enjoyed a very pleasant and otherwise uninterrupted journey. But serious wtf was wrong with that guy!?
            Having caught train every day for two years plus I worked out never sit near the doors. Some people will get on, even if train is empty, panic and sit on nearest empty seat (like you had)
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Having caught train every day for two years plus I worked out never sit near the doors. Some people will get on, even if train is empty, panic and sit on nearest empty seat (like you had)
              Maybe the panic actually sets in when they realise they have to sit next to you
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
              X