• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Be very wary of accepting tenants on universal credit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be very wary of accepting tenants on universal credit

I know some of you are landlords so it's better to be warned - https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...iversal-credit

Even councils and housing associations are having problems.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I know some of you are landlords so it's better to be warned - https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...iversal-credit

Even councils and housing associations are having problems.
    Hang on what exactly is new here? When I let out a property (97-02 when I sold it) the tenant had to pay some of the rent and it was hard to get them to do that then. Equally DWP can (if arrears start) be pay the landlord directly...
    Last edited by eek; 18 November 2017, 10:17.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As it says in that article:

A DWP spokesperson says: Typical platitudinous crap here....
      So obviously not a problem. Seriously I really don't know why anyone would ever have considered renting to anyone on benefit. Recall a chap telling me decades ago about some of the problems he had and the councils were entirely unhelpful back when then they had powers for direct payment.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

plenty of people I know have had that, Tenants & the Council in arrears. Breaches of the tenancy agreement - Smoking, pets, wild parties.

Frequently the Landlord gets left with the bill of many thousands, cleaning up and apologising to the neighbours.

Sorry to say most are single after a breakup in the house and they take it out on their landlord. Some just never have any intention of paying rent from the start.

Then in all the documentaries they bemoan the fact the wicked landlords won't rent to benefit tenants.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Boo fricken who.

Landlords are leeches, sympathy zero.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Boo fricken who.

Landlords are leeches, sympathy zero.
            So you rather more people where homeless?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              So you rather more people where homeless?
              Given that your original post says don't rent to those on benefits that's a bit rich....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Given that your original post says don't rent to those on benefits that's a bit rich....
                Please quote my words that said exactly that.

Comment

Will somebody think of psycocandy

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    well if the Government hadn't sold off all the housing stock, managed its users better, Helped identify the problem tenants (there are plenty of nice people on benefits) let fewer people in the country and built more houses then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Of course no one in the government is going to take any responsibility so its all the fault of the "Baby Boomers" being mean to the "Millenials" - I must have missed that meeting where we decided to do them over.

Or its disgusting landlords expecting to make a profit on their investment not giving PG free lodging like his Mum & Dad did.

I was at lunch with 20 people of which over half were first or second generation immigrants. The lack of housing was a strong topic of conversation, I bit my tongue multiple times rather than offend.

I had two 25-30 year olds complaining about the price of houses and how it was unfair they didn't have a house. The French lass was particularly upset, I note she has a French flat and now wants an English one, she sees no irony or problem with that.

Now individually they are lovely people but they won't acknowledge that immigration and government failure to plan for it is a large portion of the problem.

If you take away the effect of immigration there would be too many houses because we were falling below population replacement level.

PG you will probably find Landlords aren't particularly keen on tenants with a massive chip on their shoulder like you. But without them you would have nowhere to rent.

The fact that many bad tenants are on Benefits is unfortunate but that is why we have social services, social housing & benefit offices. Landlords are businesses not charities. Do try popping down to a Bupa hospital and ask for them to take the log out of your eye for free!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X