• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thank **** Im retiring in the New Year!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Yay! What with the news that the lovely Mr Hammond is going to clobber contractors (amongst others) in his up coming budget, not to mention the lowering of dividend tax threshold from april 2018 etc, Ive decided after 20+ years of contracting that Im going to retire next month.

Current contract is due to end in December so seems a natural time to get the final timesheet signed off. I cant stand the Christmas parties with everyone trying to get their tongues down the latest hottie in the office or trying to get in someone's knickers without anyone knowing or, just getting tulipfaced to tell people what they really think of each other only to look very sheepish when they bump into them a couple of days later at the tea point etc!

The commute is tulip with motorways full of roadworks and speed cameras, trains dont run when you want to get there and it takes ******* ages anyway. Ive had enough of living out of a suitcase even if some of the houseshares were 'boss'!

Agencies just **** you about; are you a British national? Yes? Can you prove it? Turns out you now need a tulip load of 'evidence' to even work in your own country now and that's before you even start talking the rate you expect and want. 'Ah the client only wants to pay £150 a day 'all in' and we know the job description has 20 different essential requirements but you're a perfect fit and would see you working for the next 3+ years because the client only wants contractors who have been at their last placement for over 5 years, they dont like these contractors who come in for 6 or 12 months to deliver a project then disappear. Oh and the client stipulates you have to be at your desk 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday no exceptions. Well, except for the permies who you'll be working with, they can take the piss (and often do) and work from home or **** off home from 2.30' blah, blah, ******* blah.

The only downside is yeah, I wont be able to just spend money recklessly as I have in the past but that will not be a bad thing.

Only about 30 days to go!
    Congrats. Better a washed up contractor that a hung out to dry contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      This country has gone to pot.
      Yeh, Mon.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I am also leaving the world of contracting after 12 years at the end of the year, totally fed up of all the rubbish nowadays.
        The original plan was to retire in 2 years but i have been offered a permie role for 3 days a week based wfh which i plan to take to see me out until i finally take the plunge ...... obviously much less money, but the office is closer to home that's if i ever need to attend and i get all the holidays and benefits, so no more sat on motorways for endless hours or crummy hotel rooms.
        Suits me entirely , and i can stick the proverbial two fingers up to permie and walk away if it doesn't

Comment

The Tories have done well.

Hope you have written to your MPs and told them due to the crap the Tories have done you have closed your businesses down and to send the letter to the Treasury. There is still time for you to do it today using writeToThem.com
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Two years to go to retirement if I keep at it. Then it just depends how many toys I want. Appreciate the fact I'll be poorer. Glad I'm not just starting out that's for sure.
            Landed my first contract this year - gutted this is happening! Should've done it a few years ago and made some money before all this kicked off.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              Landed my first contract this year - gutted this is happening! Should've done it a few years ago and made some money before all this kicked off.
              You may actually end up all right if you hold out.

Comment

What makes you think the government will allow you to retire early?

If too many do it they'll just find ways of lowering your pension income, forcing you to keep contributing to the tax take 'doing your fare share'.

So you should be encouraging Cukers to keep fighting and don't let the bastards grind us down, then you can slip off to retirement without the government having you in their crosshairs.

Personal statement: I do not intend retiring early, and will contract until I drop, whatever the rule changes enforced on me. I welcome paying 'my fair share of tax' helping out all those 'hard working families' on tax credits. Retire too early and you die young anyway. I think you're doing a marvellous job HMRC.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  What makes you think the government will allow you to retire early?

If too many do it they'll just find ways of lowering your pension income, forcing you to keep contributing to the tax take 'doing your fare share'.

So you should be encouraging Cukers to keep fighting and don't let the bastards grind us down, then you can slip off to retirement without the government having you in their crosshairs.

Personal statement: I do not intend retiring early, and will contract until I drop, whatever the rule changes enforced on me. I welcome paying 'my fair share of tax' helping out all those 'hard working families' on tax credits. Retire too early and you die young anyway. I think you're doing a marvellous job HMRC.
                  These guys are 2-3 years of retirement so any pension changes won't effect them.

Due to the women whose pension ages were put up making a fuss the government is now careful to warn people before they are 50 if their retirement is likely to go up and ensure the media openly tell everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Agree. Work less by all means but stopping altogether is inviting an early visit from the grim.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Agree. Work less by all means but stopping altogether is inviting an early visit from the grim.
                      He may have other hobbies that are like a part-time job. Lots of charities and organisations rely on healthy retirees so they work day to day.

Comment

Working...
                      X