• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thank **** Im retiring in the New Year!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    These guys are 2-3 years of retirement so any pension changes won't effect them.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is eventually a move to charge some form of NI on payments out of pensions. The government have gradually become more reliant on NI over the years and are a bit trapped by it now. A cross party move to merge tax and NI would the proper solution ( no more IR35 then ! ) but won't happen. Imagine if the masses knew what the real tax rate was.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
      Yay! .... retiring... Only about 30 days to go!
      Did I spot an 'I'm retiring' comment of yours on Guido?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        What makes you think the government will allow you to retire early?

If too many do it they'll just find ways of lowering your pension income, forcing you to keep contributing to the tax take 'doing your fare share'.

So you should be encouraging Cukers to keep fighting and don't let the bastards grind us down, then you can slip off to retirement without the government having you in their crosshairs.

Personal statement: I do not intend retiring early, and will contract until I drop, whatever the rule changes enforced on me. I welcome paying 'my fair share of tax' helping out all those 'hard working families' on tax credits. Retire too early and you die young anyway. I think you're doing a marvellous job HMRC.
        They've already done that by shoving my state retirement back a year so i dont get that for another 6 years.

Guess I was fortunate, had a good pension from employment before I went contracting plus, although I blew some of my contracting pot on an unsuccessful business venture, I still managed to stash some cash away (legally!).

Comment

He may have other hobbies that are like a part-time job. Lots of charities and organisations rely on healthy retirees so they work day to day.
          Is that how you fill your days?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Is that how you fill your days?
            I'm not that old.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              I wouldn't be surprised if there is eventually a move to charge some form of NI on payments out of pensions. The government have gradually become more reliant on NI over the years and are a bit trapped by it now.
              It is a risk, but not a high one, because those who receive pensions are those who vote (the middle class oldies).

Comment

I'm not that old.

Comment

Christmas may be a- comin’ but the geese AIN’T gedding fat.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                    It is a risk, but not a high one, because those who receive pensions are those who vote (the middle class oldies).
                    I know but they have to somehow keep up the illusion that the tax rate never rises. It'll start off at 1% and then creep up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                      Christmas may be a- comin’ but the geese AIN’T gedding fat.
                      Gittin fat, gal.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X