• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thank **** Im retiring in the New Year!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank **** Im retiring in the New Year!

Yay! What with the news that the lovely Mr Hammond is going to clobber contractors (amongst others) in his up coming budget, not to mention the lowering of dividend tax threshold from april 2018 etc, Ive decided after 20+ years of contracting that Im going to retire next month.

Current contract is due to end in December so seems a natural time to get the final timesheet signed off. I cant stand the Christmas parties with everyone trying to get their tongues down the latest hottie in the office or trying to get in someone's knickers without anyone knowing or, just getting tulipfaced to tell people what they really think of each other only to look very sheepish when they bump into them a couple of days later at the tea point etc!

The commute is tulip with motorways full of roadworks and speed cameras, trains dont run when you want to get there and it takes ******* ages anyway. Ive had enough of living out of a suitcase even if some of the houseshares were 'boss'!

Agencies just **** you about; are you a British national? Yes? Can you prove it? Turns out you now need a tulip load of 'evidence' to even work in your own country now and that's before you even start talking the rate you expect and want. 'Ah the client only wants to pay £150 a day 'all in' and we know the job description has 20 different essential requirements but you're a perfect fit and would see you working for the next 3+ years because the client only wants contractors who have been at their last placement for over 5 years, they dont like these contractors who come in for 6 or 12 months to deliver a project then disappear. Oh and the client stipulates you have to be at your desk 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday no exceptions. Well, except for the permies who you'll be working with, they can take the piss (and often do) and work from home or **** off home from 2.30' blah, blah, ******* blah.

The only downside is yeah, I wont be able to just spend money recklessly as I have in the past but that will not be a bad thing.

Only about 30 days to go!

This country has gone to pot.

Comment

I loved one interview for a 3 month contract where they rejected me because they thought I had too many contracts where I had worked less than 12 months in a row...
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        I cant stand the Christmas parties with everyone trying to get their tongues down the latest hottie in the office
        What's the matter with this? Are you the latest hottie?

.. trying to get in someone's knickers without anyone knowing..
        Anyone? Surely this defeats the point. If someone got into my pants, I hope I'd know.

Comment

You could go now like Mugabe
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Count your blessings, seems like things are going to get worse.

I yesterday heard there are rumours contractors with ltd companies may have to pay full NI and the VAT exemption may also be lowered or dropped. I guess they want us all to be slaves but this is going to go around and bite the government.

The whole sales of the UK is it has a flexible workforce. With the government forcing people out of contracting (or into retirement you lucky so and so), I guess the only option left is to allow more low paid workers into the UK. This is not going to end well.

Good luck with your new career choice, just think of all the tax you will not be paying any more.

Comment

Originally posted by HMRC made Atlas Shrug View Post

The whole sales of the UK is it has a flexible workforce. With the government forcing people out of contracting (or into retirement you lucky so and so), I guess the only option left is to allow more low paid workers into the UK. This is not going to end well.

Good luck with your new career choice, just think of all the tax you will not be paying any more.
              Their idea of a 'flexible' workforce is a zero hours contract one.

There's no further career choice, it's a lifestyle choice as in retirement. Good luck with the contracting to anyone still at it.

Comment

Two years to go to retirement if I keep at it. Then it just depends how many toys I want. Appreciate the fact I'll be poorer. Glad I'm not just starting out that's for sure.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You could go now like Mugabe
                  Or stay as Robert calls it.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sounds like them Tories are doing a wonderful job.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X