Graduate with 2:1 sues Oxford for £1m Graduate with 2:1 sues Oxford for £1m
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Default Graduate with 2:1 sues Oxford for £1m

Unsuccessful in life? Are your failings the result of the short comings of others? Well then sue. Sue them for every penny. That's right, why should you be to blame.

An Oxford graduate's failure to get a top degree cost him a lucrative legal career, the High Court has heard.

Faiz Siddiqui alleges "inadequate" teaching on his modern history course resulted in him getting a low upper second degree in June 2000.

He blames staff being absent on sabbatical leave and is suing the university for £1m.

Oxford denies negligence and causation and says the case is "massively" outside the legal time limit.

Mr Siddiqui also alleges medical information about him was not submitted to examiners by a tutor.

The 39-year-old studied at Brasenose College and singled out the teaching on the Indian special subject part of his course for criticism.

Oxford University
    Julian Milford, for Oxford University, told the court Mr Siddiqui described the teaching as "a little bit dull"
    His counsel Roger Mallalieu told Mr Justice Foskett that Mr Siddiqui had been a "driven young man" aiming at a postgraduate qualification at an Ivy League university.

He said: "Whilst a 2:1 degree from Oxford might rightly seem like a tremendous achievement to most, it fell significantly short of Mr Siddiqui's expectations and was, to him, a huge disappointment."

Mr Mallalieu said his employment history in legal and tax roles was "frankly poor" and he was now unemployed, rather than having a career at the tax bar in England or a major US law firm.

Mr Siddiqui also said his clinical depression and insomnia have been significantly exacerbated by his "inexplicable failure".

Julian Milford, for Oxford University, told the court Mr Siddiqui complained about insufficient resources, but had only described the teaching as "a little bit dull".

He added the student received exactly the same amount of teaching as he would have in any other year.

The seven-day hearing is concerned only with liability - with damages to be assessed later if Mr Siddiqui succeeds.
    source: Graduate with 2:1 sues Oxford for £1m - BBC News
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Why?

The judge who will also have a 2:1 from Oxbridge but knows the right people, will rule it's his own fecking fault for being thick.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

vetran is always on top

well at least we now know AssGuru's real name.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

northernladuk is always on top

I'm gonna sue some chump that gives tulip crypto advice when I lose it all.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

Mr Mallalieu said his employment history in legal and tax roles was "frankly poor" and he was now unemployed,
    Even his lawyer says he's "frankly poor" so I'm assuming he's not one of those no-win-no-fee jobbies...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Fingers like lightning

sbakoola has more data than eek

a Desmond is worth £2 million at least.

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by sbakoola View Post
    a Desmond is worth £2 million at least.
    A 2:1 isn't a Desmond.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Fingers like lightning

sbakoola has more data than eek

Default Of course ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    A 2:1 isn't a Desmond.
    A 2:2 is a lower grade hence his compensation for damages would have been greater ... of course :P
    He's only asking for £1 million for a Billy Gunn.
    Last edited by sbakoola; 22nd November 2017 at 04:24.

Godlike

PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

oxford uni - where you can pay £50 and get your BA turned into an MA after 12 months...