• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let them eat cheese

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let them eat cheese

World Cheese Awards name Cornish Kern best in the world | Daily Mail Online

Sacre bleu! Judges name a cheese from CORNWALL as the world's best at a prestigious awards ceremony (and it even beat contenders from FRANCE)
    Cornish Kern was crowned the winner at the World Cheese Awards
    The Kern is similar to a gouda cheese as it is made using alpine cultures
    It beat an Italian Blu Di Bufala into second place by just a few points
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Well done to the Cornish.

Best cheese in the world, best whiskey in Europe (second in the world to a Japanese one), best attitude to life (look up dreckly for avoidance of doubt - it's like manana but less bothered!).
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

train don't stop Camborne Wednesdays

A passenger is aboard a train to Penzance and when the guard comes round to check tickets he see's the guy has a ticket for Camborne. "Sorry sir, this train don't stop Camborne Wednesdays, you'll have to get off at Redruth"
      "But I MUST get off at Camborne I have an important meeting to attend and if I get off at Redruth, I'll miss my appointment"
      "Sorry sir, this train don't stop Camborne Wednesdays"
      "Isn't there anything you can do?" he pleads.
      "Hang on sir, I'll go ask the driver if he can make an unscheduled stop" The guard returns and says, "The train is already late, all the driver can do is slow down through Camborne. So what I'll do is get you to come up to the front carriage and I'll hang you out the door- you start running in the air and when your legs are going fast enough, I'll lower you onto the platform"
      Unfortunately the driver forgets to slow at Camborne and our hapless passenger is pumping his legs furiously as they approach the platform. "Faster, faster" says the guard. The guys legs are a-blur and finally the guard thinks he's air-running fast enough as the platform approaches and lowers the guy onto the start of the platform. Off he shots along Camborne platform, furiously trying to slow down as the end of the platform approaches. He's finally slowed to jogging pace as the rear of the train passes him - a door opens in the last carriage and a pair of hands grab him and haul him onboard.
      "Your lucky to catch this train mate, it don't stop Camborne Wednesdays"

Comment

For the whiskey lovers out there, here you go:

https://healeyscyder.co.uk/shop/cornish-whisky/

The cyder farm itself is worth a visit and you can pay extra for the tasting tour. Best get someone else to drive if you can, the original Rattler is £2/pint in their café. A lot of the tourist tat in the shop is over-priced and can be bought cheaper in nearby Perranporth (where there's a pub on the beach) but their preserves and sauces are worth the extra. hic
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          For the whiskey lovers out there, here you go:

https://healeyscyder.co.uk/shop/cornish-whisky/

The cyder farm itself is worth a visit and you can pay extra for the tasting tour. Best get someone else to drive if you can, the original Rattler is £2/pint in their café. A lot of the tourist tat in the shop is over-priced and can be bought cheaper in nearby Perranporth (where there's a pub on the beach) but their preserves and sauces are worth the extra. hic
          I get the Rattler gift set as a Christmas present for someone every year. The tankards are so cool.

Not so sure the cider's as good as Hecks though

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            I get the Rattler gift set as a Christmas present for someone every year. The tankards are so cool.

Not so sure the cider's as good as Hecks though
            Tastes are individual, just like wine. You are your own tasting expert, as a doctor of wine once told me. Personally I prefer Rekorderlig over Kopperberg, for example, but others prefer the other way round.

They've got rid of the Ponsmere Hotel at Perranporth, where the Sunset Bar used to be a great place for a few pints after a day on the beach. We've had to switch to the Bowgie Inn at West Pentire for a pint and a view across the bay (and their crab salad is bloody nice too!)

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Tastes are individual, just like wine. You are your own tasting expert, as a doctor of wine once told me. Personally I prefer Rekorderlig over Kopperberg, for example, but others prefer the other way round.

They've got rid of the Ponsmere Hotel at Perranporth, where the Sunset Bar used to be a great place for a few pints after a day on the beach. We've had to switch to the Bowgie Inn at West Pentire for a pint and a view across the bay (and their crab salad is bloody nice too!)
              I rarely venture to the North coast but Trebarwith Strand is a nice spot with a good pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                I rarely venture to the North coast but Trebarwith Strand is a nice spot with a good pub.
                There are a few good spots along the north coast. Off the top of my head (going north east from Perranporth so it's not too much of a trek from Plymouth):
                Bowgie Inn - West Pentire
                Lewinnick Lodge - Pentire Headland, Newquay
                Steam Bar, Great Western Hotel, Newquay
                Mawgan Porth (the chip shop is phenomenal)
                Nathan Outlaw Restaurant, Port Isaac
                Life's A Beach - café at Summerleaze Beach, Bude

Different price points, with Lewinnick Lodge and Nathan Outlaw the most expensive and best. Lewinnick probably has the best views from the beer garden.

Comment

Working...
                X