• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshoring of Nuisance Calls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    £40 for a phone isn't too much of a premium, is it? (you can get them for less than that)

My dad has one of these (might be an older version) and the only trouble he had was that he needed to add all his friends/family numbers into the phone first, otherwise they got met with the message, which they didn't listen to (old person trait) so just hung up.
    £40 per phone when I've already got phones. I'll stick to my whistle by the phone.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      £40 per phone when I've already got phones. I'll stick to my whistle by the phone.
      https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/bt-8500-a...one-quad-a56qa

£45 for 4

I guess it's a lot for permies (or in a few minutes it might be a lot for contractors as well)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Blocking international and unavailable numbers certainly cuts down the number of cold calls. An added bonus is I don't get any phone calls from my brother in US.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've been getting these. Used to get the odd one every few months or so but they've ramped up in the last week or two. I have a call blocker on my phone which I think does actually work.

I like the whistle by the phone suggestion.

I usually stick it near the telly, they can listen to the endless Christmas adverts.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

My call blocker is the best: the only thing the phone line's connected to is my broadband router. I almost never get nuisance calls

My Galaxy S8 on the other hand has a nice feature where I can block (and optionally report) any incoming call so that number never bothers me again. I only answer calls where I know the number - anything else and if they're not prepared to leave a voicemail telling me why they want my time, I just ignore it, can't be that important.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              A better system would be one where all numbers are barred except the ones you specify.
              I think there are phones which do this

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                I think there are phones which do this
                Yes, WTF pointed this out a few posts ago.

I'd never heard of 'em myself but will definitely be looking at getting one before I burst a blood vessel

Comment

Working...
                X