• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professionalism and when it goes out the window.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Pointless to even bother because there is nothing to be gained from it for you.
    That's not the impression you gave on Jeremy Kyle.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Pointless to even bother because there is nothing to be gained from it for you.
      Say the guy that moans about ******* everything.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        Never burn bridges. You never know who you'll end up seeing on another gig.
        I keep hearing this, but with the exception of those occasional gigs I get from a small number of known personal associates (and they're known personal associates because they and the work they supply is not completely tulip), I've never bumped into the same person twice in almost two decades.

This may be true for permies job hopping from company to company in the same city, but for contractors, who are far more likely to move around a much wider geographic circle from one gig to the next, it's far less likely. And in my personal experience, has never happened, and probably never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Exactly. I am everyone's friend on site, even when I totally disagree with them. Well liked = ££££.
          You keep bottling that resentment up. I'm sure it'll do wonders for your blood pressure in later life.

Comment

I never bitch once I’ve terminated my contract. I do start whistling and doing happy little jigs at the photocopier however.

That does tend to give the game away...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I never bitch once I’ve terminated my contract. I do start whistling and doing happy little jigs at the photocopier however.

That does tend to give the game away...
              Look at the mess you left the last time....

Comment

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be deliberately be out of order personally to someone but sometimes the stupidness that goes on is beyond silly and you can only bite your tongue for so long. It seems cooperation in large companies goes down by the square of the bonus the senior manager gets and it only seems to get worse. I'm actually surprised at how high productivity is in this country after my last tour of duty.
                On the other hand I know you should look at is a free cash but you can only do it for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by poorautojobber View Post
                  How long after you terminate your contract do you start telling people how it is?

Gave notice a month ago and been loving it ever since! Not coming back so don't see the point of holding back.
                  Some of your recent work?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    I keep hearing this, but with the exception of those occasional gigs I get from a small number of known personal associates (and they're known personal associates because they and the work they supply is not completely tulip), I've never bumped into the same person twice in almost two decades.

This may be true for permies job hopping from company to company in the same city, but for contractors, who are far more likely to move around a much wider geographic circle from one gig to the next, it's far less likely. And in my personal experience, has never happened, and probably never will.
                    My new permie client co manager (he’s new, I’ve been there a while) is a guy I worked with 16 years ago, though I work in a relatively smaller area than most of you across 2 large cities.

You never know when a prospective manager will see your cv, and know someone at your last client co and give them a call to find out about you.

The chances might be slim, and you might not ever find out that’s why you didn’t get an interview, but why risk it?

Comment

Originally posted by poorautojobber View Post
                      How long after you terminate your contract do you start telling people how it is?
                      I've only given notice once so don't have any real frame of reference. However, my clients engage me to do a professional job and to provide them with accurate information. I do that throughout the contract, so it doesn't change just because I'm leaving.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X